• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps PLC Acceptance

MiracleWhip

How hard is it to get accepted into PLC Air for the Marines? I heard from some if you qualify and have a good GPA, for the most part you will get accepted. On the contrary, I also heard some people saying it is very selective and even the best of the best sometimes don't make the cut. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
You aren't going to get an answer as far as "how hard is it to get accepted". A lot has to do with how badly they need pilots at any given time. The only way you will know whether you can get accepted is to go talk to an OSO and go through the process. All you can do is pass the ASTB, flight physical, have a high PFT score and good grades don't hurt.

will92

Here's what my OSO told me:

If you're a freshman, pass the ASTB (minimum of 4/6/4), pass the PFT, and are medically qualified, you're in. The reasoning, according to him, is that it's rare for a freshman to attain a qualifying score on the ASTB.

However; I don't know how true that is...

Passed mine on the first try. Heh heh. If you're a college freshman, obviously you won't have a GPA yet depending on how early you start the application process. That's not an issue and they'll overlook that. Like Treetop said, you won't get a definite answer on how hard it is to get selected but generally it's easier to get selected for PLC Air vice OCC Air nowadays due to a current lack of immediate demand for aviators. Also PLC applicants are 1-3 years away from commissioning and many of them don't stick around to do so, even after OCS, which opens up for more selections.

MiracleWhip

Passed mine on the first try. Heh heh. If you're a college freshman, obviously you won't have a GPA yet depending on how early you start the application process. That's not an issue and they'll overlook that. Like Treetop said, you won't get a definite answer on how hard it is to get selected but generally it's easier to get selected for PLC Air vice OCC Air nowadays due to a current lack of immediate demand for aviators. Also PLC applicants are 1-3 years away from commissioning and many of them don't stick around to do so, even after OCS, which opens up for more selections.

I didn't quite get that...its easier to get a PLC Air Contract due to the lag time between commissioning?
What do you mean they don't stick around..? Don't most of them wait to go to TBS and off to flight school since they have a contract?

I'm saying many candidates choose not to return for PLC Seniors if they're doing the 6 week course. Some just don't accept their commission at all after completing OCS. That drastically reduces the amount of candidates who actually accept their commission, especially the more time they have before they could commission. PLC has an open door policy; people can back out of it at any time. I didn't expect it, but I had a lot more candidates from either my juniors or seniors platoon back out for any number of reasons. I think that's a big reason why it's not terribly difficult to get selected for PLC, provided you are fully qualified. Getting selected doesn't mean you will either make it through OCS, or have the commitment to accept your commission when it's all said and done.