• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps: Path to Commision (questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
Could someone please outline for me what goes on at TBS. I understand that Marine and Navy officer wannabees all get shuffled through the same OCS in P-cola. Yet the Marine 2nd Lts then go to TBS afterward. Basically all I know is that it is infantry training and lasts for 6 months. I am wondering what goes on there that takes 6 months.

Also, how much time does a typical 2nd Lt usually wait between OCS and TBS. The way it is looking is that me and my girl will be getting married sometime during my training (being optimistic, must first be accepted::::to the Marines that is) and am wondering if it is easier to use a week of leave between OCS and TBS, or TBS and API. Wondering for sheer planning purposes only. I also understand that it is not uncommon to wait 6 months or more between OCS and TBS, so I don't see a problem there. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanx to all who respond.

OracleMSU

Edited by - OracleMSU on 11/21/2001 00:12:02

DeadOn

The Marine website used to have lots of good info regarding TBS, but I can't seem to find anything but a link to "Contact OSO now". (Which I did.) Unless things have changed (and we know that *never* happens in the military) USMC OCS is indeed at Quantico - as well as TBS. I'll see if I can dig out any old info about it and pass it on.

Fly. Fight. Win.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Matt's right. Marine Officers are born in Quantico, Va. Afterwards you go to TBS which is also in Quantico. Believe it or not, TBS is the most unique school in the world. The Marine Corps is the only military service in the world that brings all its officers together in a school before entering the fleet. Rifle range, leadership classes, uniform classes, Drill,manual of arms and ceremonies classes, Administration (ie how to write Fit reps), How to do a JAG report, Swim quals, Weapons classes which include firing those weapons (ie mortars, arty, tanks, LAV's, claymores, grenades, 50 cals, M-60's etc), Land Navigation and map reading, tactics, fire and maneuver, and Nuclear, biological and chemical warfare to name a few. The idea is to be a well rounded and prepared 2nd Lt. You will have knowledge of every aspect of the Marine Corps and what is expected of you as an officer and a leader. It makes the Marine Officer Corps a true band of brothers. I hope that helped. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

OracleMSU

Civvy SNA Hopeful
Thanks to all for your information, and for correcting me on my false assumption that Marines and Navy go through the same OCS. I assumed that because they both go through the Naval Academy together. But hey, we all know what happens when you assume.

OracleMSU <-----Heeee Hawwww

Status
Not open for further replies.