• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps Force Design 2030

RoarkJr.

I was reading over this and wanted to generate some discussion here. I wonder what the implications of us taking a more dedicated focus on indo-pacific region are. Seems like precision long-range fires is one of the biggest concerns, pushing us more into the smaller/more distributed/decentralized force design.

What does that mean for aviation? I'm not sure I understand the notion that HMLA is unsuitable for that role (paraphrased from the 2019 aviation plan). From the numbers it looks like we're divesting across the board except for VMGR. Doesn't really mean much if it's just scaling with the infantry drawdown, but interesting nonetheless. For VMFA, 10 F-35b per squadron vice 16 seems like a big change.

Anyway, no specific questions really, just interested in what others have to say. Thanks.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
With the emphasis on the Pacific, it places an emphasis on range and transportability. That means helicopters and armor are at a disadvantage. With the Commandant not asking for any additional funding, that means legacy systems such as skids and tanks have to be sacrificed to fund future systems.

I'm sure the Commandant knows his history and that the first 2 Japanese surface warships sunk in WW2 were by the Marines, not by the Navy. (Marine artillery and Marine air respectively at Wake Island)

RoarkJr.

With the emphasis on the Pacific, it places an emphasis on range and transportability. That means helicopters and armor are at a disadvantage. With the Commandant not asking for any additional funding, that means legacy systems such as skids and tanks have to be sacrificed to fund future systems.

I'm sure the Commandant knows his history and that the first 2 Japanese surface warships sunk in WW2 were by the Marines, not by the Navy. (Marine artillery and Marine air respectively at Wake Island)
Makes sense, I guess my thinking on it was that, once we do have a foothold, HMLA would help unburden fixed wing in distributed assault support, recon, CAS etc. in any case still having 5 HMLAs isn’t nothing and maybe is a nod to that.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

I might add “strike mobility” to this list. Pacific battles historically have been, and likely will remain, smaller fights over vast distances with the occasional major engagement. HMLA will have a place but on a distributed basis as detachments. Using 4 Vipers and 3 Venoms on a lash up of with 10 F-35’s is a lot of mobile lethality when you include the rocket artillery. The only thing that surprised me was the drop in plopters.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Forgot to add...the Corps belongs in the Pacific (primarily) and the divestment in tanks is a great idea.

joe dirt

pilot
Vipers and Venoms...I think I just threw up in my mouth. Hueys and Cobras please.

I think there are a lot of people who have no idea what do do with the problem in the Pacific, say what they think their boss wants to hear and then try to implement some garbage TTP that makes no sense. Torpedoes on cobras...no thanks.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Vipers and Venoms...I think I just threw up in my mouth. Hueys and Cobras please.
Sorry bro’, I don’t name them I just use the words.

Although I think I’ll replace saying “Holy Shit!” with “Torps on a Cobra!”

Pags

N/A
pilot

I think there are a lot of people who have no idea what do do with the problem in the Pacific, say what they think their boss wants to hear and then try to implement some garbage TTP that makes no sense. Torpedoes on cobras...no thanks.
People talked about torps on 60Ss for ever. Nothing ever came of it.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot

Ha, there's delusions, then there's HMLA Pentagon delusions. At this point I'd settle for like, a north seeking arrow on the TSS, or failing that maybe some better velcro on the seat lumbar support. Small victories.