• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I hear alot of folks talking about JSF. Don't be fooled. The only reason JSF exists is because of funding. They are trying to create (once again) a jack of all trades aircraft. Multi role mission aircraft look nice on paper but they sure have problems during employment. The F/A-18 is a classic example. Good fighter but not near the air superiority of the F-4 or F-14. Good bomber but not even half the capabilities of the A-6E. This is the legacy that "peace" has left us. Rather unfortunate that we need a war to put single mission aircraft into employment. Just a comment. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Randy Haskin

quote:
The F/A-18 is a classic example. Good fighter but not near the air superiority of the F-4 or F-14.

Maybe in terms of being able to shoot the Phoenix or the capabilities of the AWG-9 (I don't know what radar the Navy F-4s had), but the Hornet is sure as hell a better BFM-er than either of those jets. I can gun a Tomcat in the Strike-Pig, but I get my burner cans waxed regularly by Hornets in BFM...

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
True. I don't dispute the fact the hornet is a decent fighter. I was referring more to the change in fleet tactics for one aircraft. Her loiter time leaves alot to be desired and sadly, it will not be improved upon by the Super Bug. By the way, I never consider I never consider missle capabilities when discussing superiority only airframe. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Walker

What role will the F-18 take with all the "futuristic " fighters coming out , such as the euro fighter, French rafale fighter , f-22, etc. Will the Navy/Marine place in fighter/attack hierarchy be a distant second behind the next generation of fighters?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well the F-18 has changed with the E/F being developed. This is not a modification of the F-18 but a completely new redesign of the aircraft. The E/F is roughly the size of the F-14. I think it will hold its own with newer versions for along time. Who knows. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

unfUSN

Frumby, Do you think that its an advantage or dis-adv. to have tow people in the cockpit (i.e. pilot & NFO)?

ATP

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've flown single seat and multi cockpit and I'll never trade a good NFO. Not only is it nice to have another set of eyeballs looking for you but sometimes its nice to have a voice of reason to break you out of a trance if your buried in the cockpit. I'll tease NFO's until the day I die but I hate to fly in combat without one. Besides, they're always willing to take the Fat ones at the O'club. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.