• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc

Is it true that the Corps uses a quality spread to determine advanced training? I have heard that some pilots don't fit in the helos- specifically the AH-1 Cobra. I would have guessed that the jet pipeline had tighter anthro requirements. Is it possible to be precluded ahead of time from a certain community due to anthro fits? I had flight physical and was told I am fine anthro-wise. Does this just mean for the T-34 or do they check all anthros for all potential pipelines. I am going to be 26.5 at OCS in October and hope being slightly older isn't going to kill me in pipeline selection. I have heard that the jet community is still hurting most for aviators. Thanks for all info. I guess I am more curious than anything else right now.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think this question was pointed directly at me so I'll stick my nose in. Yes, every platform is looked at, anthro-wise, in the Corps. If you were told that you were good to go then don't worry about it. The Corps does not do a quality spread in pipeline selection. Needs of the service and your grade point average determine your pipeline selection. As you will hear repeatedly during flight school, "timing is everything." The Corps does, however, do a quality spread in the jet community. If you do not achieve a certain grade point average during advanced, you may not be able to fly Scarriers. The top dog always gets his choice but -2 and the others will go to a board. If -2 and -3 have all attained the grades for the Scarrier cut but -4 and -5 have not and the choices this week from CMC is 2 AV-8's and 2 F/A-18's, then guess what? -4 and -5 will get the F/A-18 slots and -2 and -3 will get the AV-8 slots. More then 40% of USMC F-18 pilots could not make the cut. They were the weak links in flight school. Unfair. Yes, but it has saved alot of lives and aircraft. All the weak sisters used to get stuck with AV-8 and all the top performers were in F-18's. Problem was we started killing off Av-8 pilots at an alarming rate so they introduce this quality spread about 6 years ago. EA-6B pilots also had to make above the AV-8 cut to be considered for EA-6B's. I hope that answers your questions. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

ASUPilot

Frumby,

Is the quality spread a statistical distribution of probability of success, or is it all based on imperical data? So the top guy gets the platform he wants and if -2 is also shit hot he may be placed into the Harrier? I guess if he really wanted the Hornet he'd be upset, but I agree that the best people need to be in the most difficult jet to fly. And it is my understanding that the Harrier is the most difficult tactical aircraft to fly right now. However, I could be wrong.

ASUPilot

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
ASU,
Based solely on imperical data. Many of my shithot kids were extremely disappointed when they selected Scarriers. It was obvious eventhough they were extremely professional in maintaining there bearing. By far, the AV-8 is the single most difficult aircraft in the WORLD to fly. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
quote:
It was obvious eventhough they were extremely professional in maintaining there bearing. By far, the AV-8 is the single most difficult aircraft in the WORLD to fly.

Does this include the Osprey?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
quote:
By far, the AV-8 is the single most difficult aircraft in the WORLD to fly.
Sorry, Frumby...I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one

LTJG Wilkins

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ok, I'd be interested to hear what is more difficult to fly then a AV-8. Osprey does not count due the fact that its still in R&D. I hate to say this, but did you know that the AV-8 is not considered in the USMC accident rate. There are very few old AV-8's. Speaking of the Osprey, do you know that the CH-53E crashed more prototypes and commissioned aircraft in its first 6 years then any other aircraft (except for the AV-8). They worked the bugs out of the 53E they will have to work the bugs out of the Osprey. God help those families. Unfortunately, since 1969, they have never worked the bugs out of the AV-8. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

nickou23

This may be a little off topic, but Friday the President was in town to speak at the opening of the Texas State History Museum, and they showed on TV, Marine One landing at the old Airport. I noticed that it was a CH-46 instead of the CH-53 that we are all used to seeing, which I thought was kinda odd. I heard the Super Stallions and Sea Dragons were grounded a while back because of a bearing problem, is this still the case?

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Marine One is whatever the President happens to be flying in (driven by Marines, duh). In the Washington area, it's an Executive derivative of the H-60 Blackhawk/Seahawk painted all nice and pretty (VH-60).

Edited by - Tripp on 05/01/2001 12:40:07

Dave Shutter

quote:they have never worked the bugs out of the AV-8. Frumby

...lets hope they can better with the JSF. If it does gets built a lot of people are going to be relying on that single engine to get them home. I read that both versions have been undergoing early flight testing to determine airworthiness after which STOL and ultimately VTOL will be tested. If there are big bugs, I should think we'll see them soon enough.

As for Marine 1, I saw Bush get out of it on the news he other day and it was the first time I'd ever seen an H-60 used for the President! How long has this been going on and where do the pilots come from? Do Marines go through the Army's H-60 syllabus, or do they adopt Army pilots. I doubt the Marines would run their own little H-60 school for this one instance. Anyone?

D

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
From what I've been hearing about the JSF--especially the Lockheed version--is that it's golden. Also, Dave, I would think the Marines would just use the Navy syllabus for the Seahawk?

Frumby, I wasn't aware that the AV-8 isn't included in USMC accident stats. Is there any particular reason for that?

About the Osprey, I don't know if any of y'all caught last week's episode of JAG, but the producers seemed to really be pushing the MV-22. I heard the same stats about the -46 and -53 being incredibly accident prone during R&D. My thoughts: It's an ugly-@$$ bird, but if it can do what they say it can, then we should crank them out as soon as the bugs are worked out.

beau

My Father told me(former EA-6B driver, and SWA FO) that the Navy swore back in the early eighties that they would never buy another single engined carrier born aircraft after they started losing A-7's to engine failures. I talked to one of the guys in charge of the JSF project at Boeing(friend of my fathers) and he said they feel the engine is more reliable (obviously). I want to believe him but I guess I have a fear of single engine aircraft backed up by my fathers experiances. You guys have any opition on this???

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Dave Shutter

I like the Lockheed version myself, it's basically a mini-Raptor. Lot of parts commonality with the F-22, Congress will like that. Future AF F-22 guys are never gonna run out of cracks for future USN/USMC pilots if they end up with it though. I'm no expert on the Mil/Aero industry but I predict that unless something goes terribly wrong with the Lockheed version, or unless the Boeing version turns out to be Firefox in a JSF's skin, that the sound of that engine that powers both Lockheed jets (Pratt&Whitney?) will be heard for quite some time.

quote:I would think the Marines would just use the Navy syllabus for the Seahawk?

Oh...um...Duh

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 05/01/2001 20:48:19

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
HMX-1 is stationed at MCAS Quantico, Va.. Tripp is right, whatever the president flys on is considered "1." The squadron includes UH-1's, H-60's(flown by warriors, never the army), CH-46's, CH-53's and SH-3's. All fly the president and all are used by TBS to transport the Lieutenants during field exercises. (Of course, they trade out the cheap seats when derrieaire 1 is flying)
Tripp, they don't include it because its the acident rate is too high. When I went to ASO school in Monterey (Aviation Safety School) I was amazed at how high the rate was. In 94, USAF and USN hovered around 1.2:100,000 flight hour. USMC has always been high, 2-2.4:100,000. The AV8B was high about 15:100,000 (I actually believe it was higher). In my 4 years at Cherry Point, the AV8 squadrons lost over 12 aircraft. That was only the "Pit", Yuma and units deployed actually lost more. Dangerous airplane. Not very good in a weapons pattern either. That statements unfair, the airplane is only as good as the pilots flying and those guys are always hurting for flight time. If you can't practice, you can't play. Its the only community that has a 500 hour patch. I can only speculate that they do not include the rate due to funding. That's mere speculation but probably true to life.
Beau, who's your dad and where is he based? Dallas, Houston or Chicago.
Semper Fi! F

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.