• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corp SNA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiken82

Are there any Marine Corp students or those applying to the Marine Corp Aviation program? Just wanted to compare notes!

KTSpudnik

How far along are you in the process? I haven't even started yet, but I hope/plan to sometime in the near future. If you are at all ahead of me, do you have any suggestions?

I assume you are in college....what year are you?

Semper Fi!

kaiken82

I am in the last phase of the application process, PFT is the only thing keeping me from sending my packet. Started the whole process at the beginning of April, shortly after I developed a severe case of shin splints/stress fractures from too much running that has brought my progress to a screeching halt. Finally have begun to make progress on my run time again so God willing I should knock out the pft by the middle of august. Shooting for the January 03 class. By the way, I am a 27 year old who could not take being stuck behind a desk anymore!! I also have wanted to do this since I was about 10 years, something was always in the way though.

megrey06

Kingsville
I'm in the middle of putting my app together right now. I've got the physical this Wednesday at NAS Atlanta and take the PFT the end of this month. I'm shooting for the 6 October OCC class. I'm also a few years out of school (25 yrs old) and finally got back to what I always knew I would.

If you have any questions or want to compare notes, just email me. I'm in Atlanta.

-Matt

megrey06

Kingsville
Right now the Marine Corps slots are pretty tight like the Navy. I think the difference is that the Marine Corps takes a little different approach. I believe their biggest concern is whether or not you would make a good Officer of Marines first. If they feel that you fit the bill in that capacity, they tend to be willing to find a way to fit you in if you're qualified.

The atmosphere is a little different in the Corps no matter what occupational specialty you enter.

-Matt

Raptor2216

I am in the Marine Corp PLC&aviation program. I just completed PLC-juniors in july so if you guys need any help or have any questions about PLC/OCC/NROTC, just ask. I will be more than happy to help. Good luck.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well candidate,
Congratulations on completing Juniors. It appears that all your hard work at PT these past few months has paid off. Good job. Tired of staring at your candidate regs? Have you brain dumped your general orders yet? Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

KTSpudnik

Raptor,

When did you begin the application process for PLC? Also, is the PLC-Aviation program only for pilots, or can wannabe-NFOs apply?

Raptor2216

Frumby, you have no idea how much I hate those friggin regs. I have packed it up and put it away and I won't look at them again untill seniors. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the orders. I found myself repeating my orders today, but I really don't mind that. It will be just one less thing to worry about during seniors. Anyway, I am glad it's all over and i'm glad I don't have to count off every morning at the top of my lungs!

KTSpudnik, I started my application process at around october of 2001 and I found out about their decision on march 28th. Also, future NFO's can also apply under the air option. I think that NFO's get the name specific contract called the "NFO-contract". I know that from one of the guy's who was at PLC with me this summer. How far along are you in your application? If you have any questions or what to expect in Quantico, feel free to ask. Good luck.

KTSpudnik

Raptor,

I haven't even begun my application yet. The most I've done is spoken with the OSO a couple of times. I plan on contacting him again as soon as I get back to school in the fall. I'll be a sophomore, and I'm looking at applying for the 10-week PLC. One thing that's got me worried, though....as I said before, I want to be an NFO, but.....I have allergies. I've been told (can't remember if it's here or some other place) that I'd probably need to get a waiver to get into aviation, but that it's possible. So, my question is this - would I need to start the application process sooner, so I could give my waiver time to go through?

About PLC...was it as hard as you expected? I've seen practically every tv show about boot camp, but I wish there were one about OCS. If you have any inside tips or pointers, I'd be glad to here 'em. Thanks!

Raptor2216

KTSpudnik,

I also suffer from seasonal allergies but it was not a problem during the medical exam at MEPS and I did not lie on the any of the paperwork. I boldly let the doctor know that I suffer from allergies and that I get a stuffy nose every now and then. He didn't seem to care much about it though and let me pass on that. What kid of allergies do you have? Is it something extremely serious or just the sniffles every now and then? From what I have heard in the past, unless it's a life or death situation and there is no medication to control the condition, you should be fine and if you are on medication then you might have to get a wavier. So, I don't think you should be too worried.

As far as PLC is concerned, it was not what I had expected. The priors in my platoon said that PLC-jrs was nothing when compared to boot camp. But, keep in mind that PLC-srs is much harder and you have to find the motivation in yourself to graduate seniors.

After about the first week we usually had either one Sgt. instr yelling at us or the Plt Sgt at one time. We almost never had more than one of them at a time except during humps and PT. Also, there are no push-ups at OCS for screwing up. Instead, you get to do some BS essay, like "The difference between a plt sgt and a sgt instr". We had a whole bunch of those.

As far as tips go, one thing I can not stress enough is to label everything you have with your name. They will show you the proper way to label your trash and make sure that you use the laundry bag you get and also label that bag. Also, when our staff picked us up made us dump out all of our trash on the ground and seperate the civilian trash. I'm sure that every out plt had to go through the same thing but the point is that have your stuff seperated the night before so taht your trash does not get mixed up with someone elses trash. Take plenty of zip-lock bag's with you, take all the boot's you have, and I didn't take any with me but take some asprin or something. They will tell you to dump out any medication that you might have on your person but just slip it in your civilian bag. And of course, take everything you OSO recommends. The only other tip that I can think of would be to not give up, no matter what happens. I screwed up bad in the beggining but I learned from my mistakes and made a big improvement and earned the staff's respect. As my OSO told me before i left for PLC, "The key to graduating OCS is to be physically fit, don't lie/cheat/steal, and most impoerant of all, do not give up". Goodluck buddy.

airwinger

pilot
For Shin splints, stretch EVERY night. I know there will be many nights you don't want stretch, but use the boards in the back of your squad bay and they will help. Also do the stretch/breathing yoga stuff, I took half an hour after lights out every night to do it, and it helped me recover alot faster.
Also have more than 2 pairs of boots, at least have an inspection pair that you only wear for inspections, if you can get one a cell phone, and for the OCCers a car. Plus hound your OSO for all the gouge you can, we had guys show up with practically all the info you'd need for tests.
Oh yeah and learn how to climb a rope, it's not hard to do, but technique can save you so much when you have to climb with gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.