• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine commissioning ceremony at ocs

navy09

None
Generally your first salute goes to one of your Sergeant Instructors.

Seems kind of lame. I mean, if they were really the most helpful person in your quest to get commissioned, then cool- but why do it just out of tradition?

Clux4

Banned
This is only for active duty Marines right? So my Dad who served in the 60's can't do it, correct?

Yes. Retirees can do it provided they are ready to meet grooming standards and put on the uniform. They are only eligible to wear the uniform provided they left service under honorable conditions. I know of a girl whose father was a retired MGySgt and she gave him her first salute.

You do not owe your Sgt. Instructors sh!t. Make the ceremony memorable for yourself. You only get one shot at it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yes. Retirees can do it provided they are ready to meet grooming standards and put on the uniform. They are only eligible to wear the uniform provided they left service under honorable conditions. I know of a girl whose father was a retired MGySgt and she gave him her first salute.

You do not owe your Sgt. Instructors sh!t. Make the ceremony memorable for yourself. You only get one shot at it.

I didn't say you do. I just said that most everyone does the whole first salute thing with them.

Cordespc

None
Contributor

Had my retired CPO father-in-law do mine. He actually bought a new set of blues to accomodate the few dozen pounds he gained after retirement. Alo had a coulple enlisted friends and my wife pin my bars. As was said, make it what you want it to be.