• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine commissioning ceremony at ocs

GeorgiaMarine

I am PRAYING that I will get the opportunity to try for a commission in OCS class that reports in January.

> How does the Commissioning Ceremony work? Can I have a Marine mentor come and render my "1st Salute"?

> Will my wife get the opportunity to pin my bars on IF I make it through??

Can anyone help answer these questions?

thanks!

b0pric01

pilot
As far as your first question goes, I am about 99% sure you can have someone you choose to render you your first salute. As far as the second, I am not sure how that works. Sorry if this didn't help you at all, but I tried. BTW wrong attitude for OCS with the if.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I figure this is a good place to pose my question.

My brother is graduating and commissioning with OCC 202 (Dec. 11) Am I required to wear my uniform to his commissioning? I wasn't sure, since it is very obviously a military function, but it isnt MY military function. I'm going as a family member, not as an officer. (And yeah, I know that "Officer 24 hours a day" thing, but still.)

Ridicules are welcome, I know this is a pretty stupid question. :)

yodaears

pilot
I figure this is a good place to pose my question.

My brother is graduating and commissioning with OCC 202 (Dec. 11) Am I required to wear my uniform to his commissioning? I wasn't sure, since it is very obviously a military function, but it isnt MY military function. I'm going as a family member, not as an officer. (And yeah, I know that "Officer 24 hours a day" thing, but still.)

Ridicules are welcome, I know this is a pretty stupid question. :)

Desert,
No you do not have to wear a uniform but make sure you dress appropriately (should go with out saying).

I am PRAYING that I will get the opportunity to try for a commission in OCS class that reports in January.

> How does the Commissioning Ceremony work? Can I have a Marine mentor come and render my "1st Salute"?

thanks!

Georgia Marine,
Your wife or anyone else you want can pin you. Your first salute I believe needs to come from an enlisted marine (or any other service), but I'm not 100% positive on that one.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor

thanks!

To answer your questions;

1. Commissioning ceremonies for large groups almost always follow the same general flow; the commissionees are brought out, they are talked about for a moment by the CO or some other person in their chain of command who interacted with them as a group, then usually a guest of honor (O-6 or higher, at least it has been for every commissioning I've ever been to) comes out, talks optimism and pride and patriotism for a bit, then administers the oath to the commissionees en masse. Then they're all officers; OORAH.

After that, the ceremony can vary depending on the size of the group and how long they want the ceremony to run. At my commissioning, because there were only 30 of us total, we each were brought out by name and a little blurb was spoken about us while our rank was pinned on by whoever we chose to do it (fiancee and little sister for me). After (or at the end of) the formal ceremony is the first salute, rendered by an enlisted member to the newly commissioned officer. Don't forget your silver dollar. ;)

2. See above. Unless they do things radically differently at OCS commissionings, she'll probably be able to.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

thanks!

1. Any enlisted person will work for first salute.

2. Yes. You will commission in a big ceremony at the USMC museum. Once every one recites the oath you break off and have your own pinning ceremony wherever with whomever.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks!! So, How long between OCS graduation and TBS?

It depends. You could start right away (commission on a Friday, start Monday) or you could wait quite some time. You won't know until you get there. In fact, you may think you are classing up with a company, get through zero week only to not pick up and spend time in Mike Co... YMMV

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Generally your first salute goes to one of your Sergeant Instructors, at least that is how it was when I commissioned. As far as retired... I don't know, I mean for sentimentality I guess it would work, just not usually the way it's done.