• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Air contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok first off I dont think they are handing them out. They may be may more available but there are still fairlly competitive.
Good luck and maybe word your posts just a little differently

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
I got one with a 2.9 GPA, 5/6/7 ASTB 282 PFT, sophmore in college, PLC, and good recommendations from all my professors and dean.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I got an Marine aviation contract in a box of Cracker Jacks...and Jrs...hell, that was just like church camp.

Padma

This is the kind of question I'm trying to find an answer to.

I have a 2.8 GPA (B.S. Psy) and am working on the PFT score, which I expect a perfect or near so (running holding me up). I have a few professors I could get letters from if necessary. How does the whole process work and does it take long?

KBayDog

Basically, you must first talk to an OSO.

You take the ASTB (there are Arco-type books out there to help you prepare for it), then if your grades are good-to-go, you get a physical, send in a package, and they send you said Cracker Jack box with your acceptance.

Then the REAL fun begins...

Blip

You even get to keep the craker jack box.

Its a fun process, nice long written application, pictures, physicals (my first one was 9 hours long! :sleep_125 ). Get started early on it. Your OSO should be your first stop.

Blip

perchul

I had a Nigerian guy in my class who had duel citizenship, fact. I was going to add some speculation but since they don't actually process your EPSQ, I think its called the SF 86 now until your done I figure the speculation doesn't matter to much.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Kent said:
Does anyone know if you can get an air contract or even for that matter a comission if you have duel citizenship? and what are the rules for this situation?
-Thanks

Actually I went to TBS with a guy that had dual citizenship. You are going to have to terminate your citizenship with the other country before getting your SECRET security clearance. This is the case whether you have an air contract or not (the guy I went to TBS with had an air contract, as a matter of fact). They will still accept you to OCS, and commission you with the dual citizenship, so don't think you have to terminate the citizenship on the gamble that you will be accepted to the Marine Corps.

Jay06

PLC- Aviation

I have been talking to a recruiting officer and I have learned a little bit about the PLC program. I am going to college next year in an Engineering major at a school that offers the NROTC/PLC program. I want to be a Marine Pilot and I believe that the PLC program is my best way of getting there. The recuiter wants me to enlist in the reserves, go to bootcamp this summer, go to college next year, and then apply to get into this program. I have been told that I will have no trouble getting accepted into this program, but there is no guarantee. Is there a way to be sure that I get guaranteed acceptance into this PLC program for Aviation (as long as I maintain the requirements of the 2.0 GPA) with my enlisting contract?
The recruiter said that if I went to boot this summer and then get accepted into the program that I wouldn't have to attend the monthly weekends with the reserves, but he said that I would be leading the ROTC with the PT. If I do get into this program, am I required to lead the ROTC instead of attending reserves? If so will I be getting any financial assisstance (because between all the studying of an engineering major and the ROTC it leave no time to work; therefore no money for living expenses)?
I know that my recruiter is just trying to do his job by telling me that I should enlist and then apply to this program, but is there another way to get into this program? If so is it through the ROTC? Any information would be appreciated.

KBayDog

Uugh...if I only had a nickel...

It sounds like you were talking to an enlisted recruiter, not an Officer Selection Officer. Correct?

Here's the deal:

If you enlist in the reserves, you will be an enlisted Marine. That title and responsibility comes first - before school, work, etc. In other words, if you are 'called up,' you must be ready to put your 'civilian' life on hold indefinately. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT ROUTE, if you want to be a Marine. We need enlisted Marines, and we need the Reserves. However, that route will not guarantee you acceptance to PLC, to an air contract, etc. All it will guarantee is a chance to go to Parris Island or San Diego and try to become a Marine.

If you have your sights on only being an officer, you need to talk to an OSO about PLC, or talk to your college about NROTC.

Read around this board; there is plenty of information. Additionally, there are folks here from a myriad ofaccession sources and different experiences that will help you out (provided you do some homework yourself).

However, I cannot emphasize this enough: DO NOT ENLIST OR CONTRACT PLC/NROTC UNTIL ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED TO YOUR SATISFACTION!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Jay,

I can tell you from experience... KBay is right... you will not be garaunteed a PLC spot.
I'd signed a contract with an enlisted recruiter to be a Marine Reservist. I was going to apply for the PLC and go to Rutgers. I ended up not going to Parris Island b/c I accepted an appointment to USNA, and later decided I didn't want to be a Marine, but that's another story.

Make sure your questions are answered prior to signing anything. Once you sign something, you may be locked into it. Also, make sure that if you do sign something, everything's good to go. A buddy of mine I was supposed to go to Parris Island with made that mistake and ended up signing the wrong contract and didn't get the MOS he was "told" he was going to get (as well as didn't get the E-2 base pay he was supposed to from day-1).

Best of luck to you and I hope you get all of you Q's answered.

Jay06

Done the HW

I have already done my homework on this, but I am just searching for any info that I don't have. My state's (Maine) current reserve unit is active right now and will be returning this summer. The recruiter has told me that the states' reserve units are leaving in 3 yr. shifts; every 3 yrs. they become active. So this assures me that the reserve unit won't be called on again until my Jr. yr. in college, if they are still activating reserves by then. I have also found out that if you are in the PLC unit then you can opt. out of being activated when your unit leaves. So I do not need to worry about being activated right away if I join the reserves. Its just the worry about being accepted into this program. I know that if I get into this program I no longer need to attend the reserve weekend assemblies, but do I become part of the school's ROTC instead?

I have also talked over the phone with a Capt. who is a pilot in the Marines. He told me that the first thing I should do is go to college first, but what do I need to do to get into the PLC from there? Is it through the ROTC unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.