• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Manas Air Base

tdimarco

Pro-Rec SNA
It looks like the Russians have bribed the Kyrgyz into evicting us from Manas Air Base. The Air Force describes Manas as:

"The premier air mobility hub for the International Security Assistance Force and Coalition military operations in Afghanistan. The wing's around-the-clock missions include aerial refueling, combat airlift and airdrop, aeromedical evacuation and strategic airlift operations. The base also provides support for Coalition personnel and cargo transiting in and out of Afghanistan."

It sounds like we may still have an opportunity to stay if we open our checkbook. I'm not sure whether Russia wants us out for security reasons or if they just don't want us to succeed in Afghanistan for spite.

http://www.manas.afcent.af.mil/

http://www.montanastandard.com/articles/2009/02/20/ap/headlines/d96fb0gg0.txt

Clux4

Banned
Let us hope Russia pays them the promised amount. They may realize the Kremlin never had money to dole out.
I doubt this will impact our mission in Afghanistan. We would have opened the checkbooks if it really did. The US is probably already looking at alternatives.

Jeff29

Science Project
"The premier air mobility hub for the International Security Assistance Force and Coalition military operations in Afghanistan. The wing's around-the-clock missions include aerial refueling, combat airlift and airdrop, aeromedical evacuation and strategic airlift operations. The base also provides support for Coalition personnel and cargo transiting in and out of Afghanistan."
Plus they have a real nice fitness facility, although the transit housing (read: old tents) leave a lot to be desired. :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The US is probably already looking at alternatives.
There are very few alternatives now. And the ones we have require compromise. Securing a non Pakistan resupply route to Afghanistan is one of the biggest hurdles facing the new administration in the war on terror. I think I just saw on one of those news channel crawlers say Tajikistan was offering access for non combat logistics. That is something, and there may be more to it behind the scenes. But it will not replace Manas.