• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Mama Bird" Johnson dies at 104...Over 57,000 flight hours

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...son-dies-at-102-logged-7-years-of-flight-time
Heard this on the way home, very impressive...she was still teaching at 94, had over 5,000 students, gave over 9,000 check rides....
RIP to a true Aviatrix...
Pickle
johnson_wide.jpg

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Took my Private SEL checkride with her when I was 17. When I called her she asked if I could pick her up...literally. I helped her into the 172's right seat and she sat on two phone books and a pillow. She slept (or at least pretended to) for the entire checkride and would occasionally wake up, briefly look outside and say something like, "Okay, son, now get us to Knoxville so I can see how you operate in Class C," or, "Okay, take us back to Morristown for some touch n go's." One of the greatest experiences of my life. That was almost ten years ago. What a lady!

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Took my Private SEL checkride with her when I was 17. When I called her she asked if I could pick her up...literally. I helped her into the 172's right seat and she sat on two phone books and a pillow. She slept (or at least pretended to) for the entire checkride and would occasionally wake up, briefly look outside and say something like, "Okay, son, now get us to Knoxville so I can see how you operate in Class C," or, "Okay, take us back to Morristown for some touch n go's." One of the greatest experiences of my life. That was almost ten years ago. What a lady!
No kidding? While maybe not quite as good of a story as getting a check ride from Orville, Wilbur, or Lindbergh, it's up there. I was pretty stoked to break 1,000 during my fleet tour. I can't imagine having 57 times that.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
No kidding? While maybe not quite as good of a story as getting a check ride from Orville, Wilbur, or Lindbergh, it's up there. I was pretty stoked to break 1,000 during my fleet tour. I can't imagine having 57 times that.

I don't think I have that much time walking, holy crap . . . impressive. So, where does that rank on the ORM sheet? Curious to see how many malfunctions she had to deal with, especially in her earlier days.

HuggyU2

None
mtsupilot09,
That is really neat. You need to dig through your photos and post a few, if you have any.
Very cool..., certainly a part of aviation history.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Huggy, I've been looking for the one picture I took with her to no avail. But I do have the card she gave to all of her checkride students. She used a typewriter to do my temp certificate. Unfortunately, both are at home and I'm deployed until June.