• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Making the most of Stash time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beau

This Monday I'll be Commissioned an Ensign here in Sooner land. With the long wait to arrive, then eventually pool up for API, what are the chances that I could request a place to be stashed besides the NROTC Unit. Or go TDY for a Month or two come back, and then ship off to P-cola? How would I go about doing so? Ask my chain of command? Ask the CO of the place I want to be stashed? Both?

On a side note, I get my Orders (obviously assuming a long wait) in a couple of weeks. Any chance a prior flight time bubba like myself be sent to P-cola on short notice? Unlike some IFS dudes, which right now report in like 4-5 months? Anybody with prior flight time get their orders yet? Does it make a difference?

Sorry about the string of Q's. Anwser one or anwser all, I'm just looking for some gouge.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recruiting Offices are usually happy to have stash ensigns. If there is a place you want to go that has an Officer Programs Office they will probably take you. I was a recruiting stash over 20 years ago. Have worked with dozens of them over the years since, when I was in a recuiting capacity. It is a good deal. No responsiblity, time on the local campus looking good, and telling applicants what you know about the navy. It is the only place ensign sea stories are worth anything.

jwilliamsee

I graduate OCS on friday and got my API brief yesterday. I have prior flight time and will not be going to IFS. IFS, leave, and upchit renewals due to birthdays do not count against your wait at API. The wait is based on when you sign in to API. To get your number called you need to have BOLTC passed, an up chit, passed the in PRT, and one other thing I cannot remember. The wait is a little shorter for SNFO's but still about 3-4 months for everyone. That of course can and has probably changed. It is impossible to figure when you will class up. Even people from the same OCS classes get classed up different for no reason. Good luck

klray77

The best person to call about what kind of stash duty you could do is your detailer. That should be Lt. Lanier at BUPERS. I don't have his number right off hand but you can find it at the BUPERS website under Pers-43. I think he is Pers-433E. Anyways, I know they are always in need of guys to do random stuff around there like help out with selection boards and stuff like that. Could be some valuable experience for you later on. He should also be able to tell you about any other options you might have like recruiting duty or whatever. Hope this helps. And don't tell him I sent ya.

Ken

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, just be careful about calling the SNA placement detailer. Generally, the SNA is not supposed to talk w/ him, it's supposed to be the commissioning coordinator. To be honest, BUPERS doesn't really have a thing to do w/ "when" you start API. Beau, I'm surprised you don't have your orders yet, since you said your about to be commissioned, since you need the orders to officially commission you. I know when I was commissioned, they were trying to hunt down all our orders as well, but they seemed to magically appear just in time (read: day before). The best way to do TAD somewhere is to work it through your skipper/XO at your unit where you're being stashed. They'll cut no-cost orders for you as long as you've coordinated w/ them and the place you want to go.

You take BOLTC before API now? Guess that makes sense due to the delay, but that kind of sucks. Enjoy Ultimate Frisbee and try not to kill yourself...

beau

hwilliamsee,

I was refering to the time Before I even get to P-cola and chech in. I'm figuring I'll be stashed here for at the very least two months before I even report.

Gator,

As far as orders, I had a upper division GPA requirment I was boarderline on and my Unit didnt want to have to talk to CNET again to delay my orders in case I wasent going to make the grade, thus haveing to retake a class.....yada yada. I got the grade, now just waiting for the paper work to arrive. My orders should be along soon!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
jwilliamsee,

Are you sure that IFS and leave doesn't count towards your wait at API? I haven't heard that yet (just trying to get my gouge straight before I hit OCS). Is it possible to complete BOLTC, in-PRT, and the up-chit, then take leave until your number is called for API? Just trying to get the details. I know IFS has to be completed (if needed) also before checking in to API. Thanks for your or anyone else's help on this matter.

Dustin

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
Dustin,

I've heard the same thing about IFS not counting towards API. I'm probably going to IFS within the next couple months, and the guys in the Flight Management office said that they take into account how long it's been since you checked in when they fill the API classes. So if you finish IFS and it's been 16 weeks since you checked in to Flight Management, they're more likely to choose you then, say, the guy who's been sitting in A-Pool for 8 weeks. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but that's what they've been telling us lately.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
From somebody who works in Flight Management and is in IFS now, I can tell you that your weeks on board counter start the minute you check in.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know if lat transfers (from SWO, specifically) are being assigned to IFS when they check into P-cola?

Status
Not open for further replies.