• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major Physical Qualifications for SNA (Very Important)

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can you be up to 29 when you apply to re-designate to NA?
Here’s a link to the program specifics. https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/aviation/Pages/NFOtoPilotProgram.aspx

As you’ve probably seen during your searches, I would not count on being selected for the NFO to Pilot transition. It is an extremely small program, and it requires you to have perfect timing (mostly out of your control), and great performance in your initial fleet tour. You’ll very likely only get one shot (if any chance at all) at the program due to your age (if you end up getting through flight school fast enough). As an example, I had fairly normal career progression (commissioned at 22), and was only able to apply once before I aged out.

I can’t speak to whether or not you can get a flight physical prior to OCS (I’m assuming no), but don’t get your heart set on transitioning after you enter the fleet. The odds are extremely low.

I’ll defer to @RecruitingGuru, but I don’t think you’re likely to get picked up for pilot if you go to OCS on an NFO contract, regardless of the outcome with your flight physical.

Bottom line: if you truly have your heart set on pilot, then you need to figure out a way to get the DP re-examined prior to OCS and get yourself a pilot contract, or explore other service branches.

benderMI

Just wanted to chime in on the DP test at MEPS as I have seen it discussed in this thread quite a bit. I failed it for my commissioning physical most recently and my recruiter sent me to a military optometry clinic to be reevaluated. I passed both the OVT and Randot test without any misses. I will say that when you take the test at MEPS it really depends on who you get administering it, whether they clean the glass, dim the lights etc. When I enlisted in 2012 I passed it at MEPS so it really does seem to be a subjective test.

jessssand

Here’s a link to the program specifics. https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/aviation/Pages/NFOtoPilotProgram.aspx

As you’ve probably seen during your searches, I would not count on being selected for the NFO to Pilot transition. It is an extremely small program, and it requires you to have perfect timing (mostly out of your control), and great performance in your initial fleet tour. You’ll very likely only get one shot (if any chance at all) at the program due to your age (if you end up getting through flight school fast enough). As an example, I had fairly normal career progression (commissioned at 22), and was only able to apply once before I aged out.

I can’t speak to whether or not you can get a flight physical prior to OCS (I’m assuming no), but don’t get your heart set on transitioning after you enter the fleet. The odds are extremely low.

I’ll defer to @RecruitingGuru, but I don’t think you’re likely to get picked up for pilot if you go to OCS on an NFO contract, regardless of the outcome with your flight physical.

Bottom line: if you truly have your heart set on pilot, then you need to figure out a way to get the DP re-examined prior to OCS and get yourself a pilot contract, or explore other service branches.

Thank you for the information. I honestly am 100% set on being an officer in the Navy and trying to progress as much as I can. The Pilot thing is second hand. I am not counting on it. Just getting all my ducks in a row so to speak so if there are any opportunities I am ready for it. I am excited to be headed to OCS and if I stay a career as an NFO I will not be any less happy. I’m pumped to serve as an officer in any capacity.

I appreciate the advice and frankness. I knew when I applied NFO and was ProRec Y that I’ll likely stay that as a career. If so I’ll be a damn good one! Cheers!

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you for the information. I honestly am 100% set on being an officer in the Navy and trying to progress as much as I can. The Pilot thing is second hand. I am not counting on it. Just getting all my ducks in a row so to speak so if there are any opportunities I am ready for it. I am excited to be headed to OCS and if I stay a career as an NFO I will not be any less happy. I’m pumped to serve as an officer in any capacity.

I appreciate the advice and frankness. I knew when I applied NFO and was ProRec Y that I’ll likely stay that as a career. If so I’ll be a damn good one! Cheers!

No problem, good luck!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

This. Don't apply for NFO if you don't want to be an NFO. Don't apply to be an NFO if you think your chances of re-designating to Pilot will be easy... because it's not. NFO to Pilot takes a short handful each year.