• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major, NFO, Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant73

I am majoring in Human Resource (HR). I desire to be either a NFO or Supply Officer. I have read the NFO=No Future Outside, but I am not taking that to heart. I would possible like to work as a HR after the military. I believe the skills and leadership I will learn as a NFO or anyother officer will help me in the civilian sector. I may be a DIVO or put into another leadership position. Do you believe my theory is flawed and that I should look into another officer community besides NFO if I desire to be an HR after my stay in the Navy?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If you want an immediate leadership opportunity, NFO may not be the way to go. You spend 2 years in flight school/the rag, so by the time you hit the fleet, you're already a JG. Furthermore, in our squadron, we've got guys who are LTs, and haven't been responsible for anybody. There are only 3 Divo billets in the squadron, and those are all held by LTs.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Theres a lot of truth in that. They'll be some time before you're in charge of Marines, or Sailors. But you WILL have that opportunity. And the skills and experience you'll have attained during your aviation committment will make you look very good. It should make you feel confident too.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
That being said though, I think ANY former military officer could suceed in human resources, and besides, the commitment for NFO is long enough that you will get the chance to be the Div O. Also, just because you're not in charge of anybody, doesn't mean there isn't any responsibilty involved. Just ask the OPS O. Also, Skeds O may seem trivial, but writing the schedule everyday means meeting deadlines or answering to the old man.

Fredster809

Not to mention getting paid well, and getting yur masters degree on the Navy. HWo knows you might just like it and stay in for a while.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, if you select a platform with multiple personnel onboard (Aircrew), you will be leading them, both in training on deck and while airborne.

Status
Not open for further replies.