• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MAJOR IRR Policy Change...

subreservist

Best part is, I'm sure there are plenty of dudes in the IRR who won't get that email, for whatever reason, and first they'll know about is getting a "surprise! fuck you!" certified letter from Millington.

I think it's also safe to state that a good number of folks in IRR don't even know they are in the IRR, so it's not going to matter for them.

If you are active in IRR, odds are good you have positive communications (I recall having good contact info is part of good standing in IRR).

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
It was mentioned earlier, but the information for reservists is BUPERSINST 1001.39F (2007) and BUPERSINST 1001.39F Change 1 (2013) "Administrative Procedures for Navy Reservists"

Make sure you know the difference between going to the Retired Reserve (longevity still increases, i.e., you max out your years of service) or ask for a discharge whereby longevity does not increase. Chapter 20, page 20

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I sent an email to the IRR Counselor concerning my status. Here is what I sent "As of 04 August 2017, I had 35 retirement points recorded for my 16th qualifying year of service, see attached statement of service for reference. My understanding of the eligibility to remain in the IRR-ASP as stated in the Policy Change Notification Letter is that a member was to have obtained 16 qualifying years for retirement as of 30 September 2017. Can you confirm that my understanding is correct, and that I will remain in the IRR-ASP?" Here was the response: "Your statement of service shows 15 qualifying years as of 30 September 2017. Per the MILPERSMAN 1001-125 paragraph 11b, you would be affected as you do not have 16 qualifying years by this date as your anniversary year does not end until 24 Jan 2018. The 15 gratuity points are not achieved until the end of the anniversary year."

m5h9

I called for roughly the same question and received the same answer as you. I have 15 years and won't have 16 years until mid 2018 because of the anniversary date mark, even though I put in 70 points last month. They said that was only fair. I admit I don't understand that logic. They mentioned that they are still working out the details but everyone will receive written notification if affected. Although I am going to keep pressing for clarity.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I called for roughly the same question and received the same answer as you. I have 15 years and won't have 16 years until mid 2018 because of the anniversary date mark, even though I put in 70 points last month. They said that was only fair. I admit I don't understand that logic. They mentioned that they are still working out the details but everyone will receive written notification if affected. Although I am going to keep pressing for clarity.
I am going to keep pressing as well. I guess it can't hurt. Does the MILPERSMAN state what constitutes a qualifying year? I have been looking, but I am unable to find a good definition.

m5h9

They are going by the anniversary date on a qualifying year, and of course you need 50 points by that date.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
According to MILPERSMAN 1820-50 "A qualifying year of service for non-regular retired pay is a full year, as outlined in reference (b), during which a member of the Reserve Component (RC) is credited with a minimum of 50 retirement points." It looks like I am SOL. How are the calls to the recruiters been received? I doubt if they have a clue.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
For those coming up just short of 16 by the D-Date, doesn't the 1 year to convert to VTU bridge your gap? By the time you would have to comply with the requirement you'll have your 16 good years and can then remain in the IRR-ASP. I have to think that's why the 1 year was put in, so they don't have to go through the process of flipping people to the VTU and then flip them right back into the IRR within months. Call me crazy...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I'm reading the instruction right, it's not everyone over 16 years who gets to bail to the ASP. It's only the people who had 16 years as of the end of FY17. Everyone else needs to do their 20 good years in SELRES or VTU.

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
For those coming up just short of 16 by the D-Date, doesn't the 1 year to convert to VTU bridge your gap? By the time you would have to comply with the requirement you'll have your 16 good years and can then remain in the IRR-ASP. I have to think that's why the 1 year was put in, so they don't have to go through the process of flipping people to the VTU and then flip them right back into the IRR within months. Call me crazy...
I hope you are right, but I'm not sure how it is all going to shake out. I wonder if they are going to issue more information for clarity based on the information that they are gathering now. It feels like they are getting rid of everyone who signed-up after 911. I've been looking at the Demographics Reports for the IRR and there definitely has been an increase in the number of IRR members over the last 10 years.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I'm reading the instruction right, it's not everyone over 16 years who gets to bail to the ASP. It's only the people who had 16 years as of the end of FY17. Everyone else needs to do their 20 good years in SELRES or VTU.

After re-reading it several times that is what I got too.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hope you are right, but I'm not sure how it is all going to shake out. I wonder if they are going to issue more information for clarity based on the information that they are gathering now. It feels like they are getting rid of everyone who signed-up after 911. I've been looking at the Demographics Reports for the IRR and there definitely has been an increase in the number of IRR members over the last 10 years.
It's as if there was a 2-3 year anomaly in the aviation community's career path that resulted in a huge influx of people to the IRR. Hmm . . . wonder what that could have been?

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Ah good, I can still lateral back to Strategic Sealift with my nifty Sea Chicken and coast my way to retirement...Probably not. Well this made blended retirement an easy choice for me.

jagM3

This is what i'm curious about. I'm at about 12 years right now -- does that mean I need 8 more years in SELRES/VTU, or can I just do 4 more years, hit 16, then go to IRR-ASP and ride out the last 4 in the IRR?

jagM3

Ah good, I can still lateral back to Strategic Sealift with my nifty Sea Chicken and coast my way to retirement...Probably not. Well this made blended retirement an easy choice for me.

For reservists under the BRS, to collect a pension you still need to have 20 good years. I have 12 years right now, can opt into BRS, and do not believe I would be able to "retire" under BRS and collect a pension as reservists must still have 20 years, from what I remember from the BRS training.

So BRS is not an easy escape from this new BS IRR policy. And if i'm reading it wrong, please let me know so I can take the BRS offramp straight out of the Navy ASAP!

Last edited: