• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Maj. Dick Winters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No apologies. Major Winters is one of the finest men to ever live and serve in the U.S. Military. He's an example to all. Post and re-post this!

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Anybody know what happened to the plans to film the Pacific counterpart to the original? I had heard that they were already filming it but that was long ago and I may very well have made that up.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
firefriendly said:
Has Band of Brothers gone on sale yet, I haven't bought it becuase its like 90 bucks but I've been meaning to buy the set....I cant get enough when it's on the history channel...

It's been on sale for a few years .... still @ $95 new on Amazon --- and a little cheaper on their "used" listings ..... it's well worth the $$$$ either way.

bob_mast.jpg

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The book "Band of Brothers" is awesome. Very fluid reading.

It really supplemented (I say supplemented because I saw the series several times before the reading the book) the movie and explained in a lot more detail many things (obviously).

For example, in the series, you might watch the first episode and dislike Captain Sobel's, and the series does pretty much villify him in every respect.

In the book, however, it makes it clear that much of the successes enjoyed by them later in combat can be, at least in part, attributed to Captain Sobel's intense physical training and strict military discipline.

For me at least, it was much easier to piece together the events and easier to see the tactical significance of some of the battles in the book.
--
The best scene in the whole mini-series (at least for me), is where the company+ is moving into a town and begins taking fire. Everyone dives into the ditches on either side of the road and takes cover. Winters is the only one standing up in the middle of the road, running around grabbing his guys and pushing them to move up.

I thought that was a pretty profound image of a combat officer. Standing in the middle of a road under heavy fire, issuing the orders that needed to be given in order to take the objective and, really, save everyone's lives.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
firefriendly said:
Has Band of Brothers gone on sale yet, I haven't bought it becuase its like 90 bucks but I've been meaning to buy the set....I cant get enough when it's on the history channel...

Are you kidding? Spend the $90. It'll be the best $90 you'll ever spend.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
Anybody know what happened to the plans to film the Pacific counterpart to the original? I had heard that they were already filming it but that was long ago and I may very well have made that up.

I've heard it's in pre-production. That's all. You're right, it exists in some form, be it just an idea, a script, or whatnot.

petescheu

For all you Maj Winters fans out there, you can check out the recent release Biggest Brother: The Life Of Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led The Band of Brothers by Larry Alexander. I just picked it up at Borders, although I'm sure you'd have the same luck at any major book store.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I bought the Series from Target a while back for about 60 bucks (on Sale). Best purchase I ever made, besides my iPod Shuffle.
ea6bflyr

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
I bought the Series from Target a while back for about 60 bucks (on Sale). Best purchase I ever made, besides my iPod Shuffle.
ea6bflyr

I'm of the opinion and assertion that Band of Brothers is some of the best film, out of any category, ever to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.