• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Maintenance at a civil airport?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
On my Trans-Pac back to the US for my 2021 deployment our chase C-17 got delayed for a major downing discrepancy after the jets had already departed from Misawa for Guam. We ended up keeping our CORONET schedule and made it to Hawaii before our 72 hour "dailies" dropped dead. In order to not lose our tankers and get stranded in Hawaii we had to send a maintenance team from our ADVON personnel in Whidbey, out to Hawaii, to do an overnight turnaround on 5x Growlers so we could make the last leg of our CORONET from Hawaii to Whidbey.

Thank goodness nothing broke on the way because the chase C-17 didn't end up arriving in Whidbey until almost an entire week after it was initially scheduled to go with us.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know about the Navy, but there is no way an AF T-6 would get worked on by anyone other than a USAF-qualified T-6 maintenance person.
Same for USN. I just cannot imagine a circumstance where that would be preferable to a rescue det, much less feasible for the reasons stated in this thread.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When the RAN were deployed to Jax, they did a det to AUTEC and stopped at KPBI to get gas, as was normal for all the USN squadrons. Because the aircraft were RAN property, all they had were NAVAIR Identiplates (for fueling at USN bases) but no AIRCARD and no one thought about how they were going to get fuel. At the end of the day, someone from NAVAIR provided the FBO a Cadillac Chit and the helos went on their way.

Fast forward several months and the FBO still was waiting for NAVAIR to pay them because, in standard NAVAIR fashion, they were slow-rolling the process. They finally paid, but now the Navy was short on 800 gallons of gas worth of money. I think it was finally settled shortly before I retired (3+ years later) that the USN would just be "paid-in-kind" by AUS the next time a US ship pulled in to Australia. Who knows if that ever actually got nulled out.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
We always did our own maintenance, If it was beyond crew capability we would ask for help from a local unit. NAVAIR preferred for keeping the paperwork straight. If not home base sent out a bird with a crew and parts.

HuggyU2

None
I was flight crew on KC 130's Huggy
Ah. Makes sense.
My understanding is that on larger USAF aircraft, like the C-17, KC-135, etc... they often travel with flying crew chiefs that are part of the crew AND do various amounts of maintenance. Especially if they are, for example, an Osprey or C-5 crew in Africa. So yes... I stand corrected.

My comment was aimed at the aircraft that have only pilots and navs onboard, and no enlisted guys smart on bending a wrench on the aircraft.

Thanks for the clarification, Hig6016.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Ah. Makes sense.
My understanding is that on larger USAF aircraft, like the C-17, KC-135, etc... they often travel with flying crew chiefs that are part of the crew AND do various amounts of maintenance. Especially if they are, for example, an Osprey or C-5 crew in Africa. So yes... I stand corrected.

My comment was aimed at the aircraft that have only pilots and navs onboard, and no enlisted guys smart on bending a wrench on the aircraft.

Thanks for the clarification, Hig6016.
No problem, We made it a team effort if we had maintenance issues. But I never heard of any pilots or navs on tactical A/C expected to fix their own gripes