• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Macular Drusen?

DaveI

What the hell is macular drusen and is it disqualifying?

My eye doctor just said I have a little dot at the back of my eye called macular drusen and given my 20/15 vision it's nothing to worry about.

Is this something that will come out during my flight physical during OCS when they look into the back of your eye and should I worry about it?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
When I did my physical at OCS, the doc found a problem with my right eye. I can't remember the medical term for it, it may be what you are referring to. In any case, the doc explained it to me in simple terms as a dot in the back of my eye like you are saying. He said in some cases it can be disqualifying, which obviously got me worried. He said the likelihood of it getting worse to the point of me losing any vision was minimal, which is why I guess I'm still in the program.

DaveI

When I did my physical at OCS, the doc found a problem with my right eye. I can't remember the medical term for it, it may be what you are referring to. In any case, the doc explained it to me in simple terms as a dot in the back of my eye like you are saying. He said in some cases it can be disqualifying, which obviously got me worried. He said the likelihood of it getting worse to the point of me losing any vision was minimal, which is why I guess I'm still in the program.

Yea it's basically a tiny little spec on the back of your eye that can only be seen when they look into your pupils. It supposedly leads to degeneration after age 50, where you might require reading glasses.... gotta love wikipedia.