• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Macbook Air versus Pro - Thoughts?

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Actually, if you want to be technically accurate - StarDivision (a German company) are the ones that created it in 1984. Sun Microsystems bought StarDivision in 1999.

Actually, you are right.

StarDivision of Deutchland it is! I'll be looking for a StarDivision tribute beer from the BattlePhrog Brewery into the future.. :D

But I still refuse to call SPARCstation, Solaris, and Java as Oracle SPARC, Oracle Solaris, and Oracle Java... just seems wrong... unless of course Solaris was created by someone else and Sun bought it (granted all UNIX was from AT&T Bell Labs.. but not going there).

robav8r

None
Contributor
Well, pulled the trigger on a 13" MBP (non retina display), 750 GB hard drive. Used the Apple Military program and got it for $1399. Was able to download the full MS Office for Mac 2011 edition (with Outlook) for $9.95 using the NMCI government program. So far, so good :)

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Well, pulled the trigger on a 13" MBP (non retina display), 750 GB hard drive. Used the Apple Military program and got it for $1399. Was able to download the full MS Office for Mac 2011 edition (with Outlook) for $9.95 using the NMCI government program. So far, so good :)

Congratulations on being a proud new papa...

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Not exactly "new" as this is my second MBP and 9th Apple product overall, but thanks for the sentiment - I am excited to be back on the cutting edge of over-priced, proprietary madness :)

I hope you considered getting AppleCare. Granted you'll be deployed a good portion of the time, but it allows you to take it to any authorized Apple shop to have it serviced under warranty (not just the Genius Bar) plus access to phone tech support beyond the 1st year.

Also recommend getting an external hard drive equal to (or larger than) the size of the internal and make a complete image using Disk Utility on the Mac OS X Lion CD (both original factory install and from time to time) that way if you ever have to send it in for repair, won't have to worry about them erasing all your stuff... you can restore your MBP back the way it was before you sent it in (if it ever comes to that). Just a good self-"insurance" to have, plus will save you the time of re-installing stuff even if you have all your data backed up separately via time-capsule or whatever.

draad

Definitely get AppleCare. Btw, if you DO have any problems with a somewhat recently purchased Mac, consider their option to send it in. For $300 they overnight it to a care center, inspect and fix everything even close to failing in a day, and overnight it back. I had a battery that needed replacing and was going to run me close to that with another cable i needed, so I went for that option. In short, they gave me a new battery, replaced my motherboard logic, replaced my 120GB HD with a brand new 500GB HD, and replaced my speakers (basically a brand new computer almost excluding the monitor).
Finally, I love my MacBook Pro, but it all depends on how much memory you need. I use an external for all my media anyway, so I'm definitely considering a Macbook Air for my next purchase since the new line of Macbook Pros are MUCH more expensive.....nothing wrong with a standard macbook either though. As for my iPad, that was wasted money. I simply alway find myself using my laptop instead, and don't even use the iPad in the cockpit, which is what a bought it for in the first place.