• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M16 Replacement

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Was cruising around the internet today, when I found out the XM8 was cancelled in October of last year. (Yeah I know, I am "behind the times.") I read the post that FlyNavy started titled M16 v. M4 v. what?, but nobody really talked about a replacement for the M16 and M4. I was wondering if Uncle Sam was still looking for a replacement for the entire system, or maybe converting them to 6.8mm.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FLYMARINES said:
Was cruising around the internet today, when I found out the XM8 was cancelled in October of last year. (Yeah I know, I am "behind the times.") I read the post that FlyNavy started titled M16 v. M4 v. what?, but nobody really talked about a replacement for the M16 and M4. I was wondering if Uncle Sam was still looking for a replacement for the entire system, or maybe converting them to 6.8mm.

6.8mm was tested in the current war.

They've also tested other firearms as possible replacements, including the XM-8. A few others from HK have also been tested.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
I was under the impression that they canceled the XM8 completely, or are they trying to revive it from the dead? Also I did read something about the HK 416, but I didn't know they were looking at it as a replacement. Thanks for the reply, sir.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I wouldn't count on the Marines having anything new in the near future. Even the XM8 was mainly an Army procurement package through their Aqu. department.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
SemperGumbi said:
I wouldn't count on the Marines having anything new in the near future. Even the XM8 was mainly an Army procurement package through their Aqu. department.

Definitely knew it would be a while until the Marines got the XM8 if it was ever purchased. Don't know about its capabilities (probably not great or it would have been purchased), but it sure is ugly. Looks like the assault rifle in Halo 1.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
FLYMARINES said:
I was under the impression that they canceled the XM8 completely, or are they trying to revive it from the dead? Also I did read something about the HK 416, but I didn't know they were looking at it as a replacement. Thanks for the reply, sir.

They would only have to replace the uppers to go to a 416 (piston) configuration. Has anyone shot one of these gas piston AR-15/M-16's yet? I want to see one for myself. I've been trying to get to shoot one for some time now.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
billthrill1 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM-29

Look at that picture on the top right of the article. I'm not so sure I'd want to be running around with that thing. That guy looks like he's trying to carry a small truck.

That's not the XM-8, they're different programs. That's the Land Warrior system.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
They would only have to replace the uppers to go to a 416 (piston) configuration. Has anyone shot one of these gas piston AR-15/M-16's yet? I want to see one for myself. I've been trying to get to shoot one for some time now.

Those piston uppers are hot. I want one.

wutzu

That's not the XM-8, they're different programs. That's the Land Warrior system.

When the Army shelved the XM-29 program, they seperated it into a grenade launcher program, and a KE (rifle) program, which was called the XM-8. The XM-8, from what I've heard, is pretty cool, but I don't think it does anything that a gas-piston AR upper wouldn't do.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When the Army shelved the XM-29 program, they seperated it into a grenade launcher program, and a KE (rifle) program, which was called the XM-8. The XM-8, from what I've heard, is pretty cool, but I don't think it does anything that a gas-piston AR upper wouldn't do.

Yep, not disputing that. Just his pics are of the Land Warrior.

Be neat to play with a gas piston upper though mmmm

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those piston uppers are hot. I want one.

They are pretty nice, and I'm thinking my next AR might have one. I've played with one a little and was pretty impressed. The big plus... you don't have to clean it nearly as much as the typical AR design, which is a huge plus for me. For now though, I just ordered a chrome BCG to ease some cleaning pains.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They are pretty nice, and I'm thinking my next AR might have one. I've played with one a little and was pretty impressed. The big plus... you don't have to clean it nearly as much as the typical AR design, which is a huge plus for me. For now though, I just ordered a chrome BCG to ease some cleaning pains.

Oh god yeah... after cleaning my AK clone... it really made me realize how nasty it is to clean an AR... what a pain.

wutzu

Yep, not disputing that. Just his pics are of the Land Warrior.

Be neat to play with a gas piston upper though mmmm

Was looking at the Oly piston upper for awhile, but didn't want to spend the money. Besides, I can do magdumps until the muzzle and even the front sight will boil water, and it still doesn't jam.

usmc96

Marines Just replaced the M16-A2 with the M16 A4 not but two years ago, This was the first new rifle for the Corps in decades. Immediately they found that they had screwed up and should have went with the M4. Any Infantryman that has fired rounds in combat will choose a M4 with an ACOG over anything.
Unfortunately the guys who make the decisions don't see combat and take close order drill, Rifle Range Marksmanship, in account too much.
Those units that have learned have acquired M4's for their Assault squads or Vehicle crews.
Overall poor choice for the Corps With the M16 A4