• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lyme disease while on flight duty

Pitt2005

Question for a flight doc if anyone has the time. Lets just say "someone I know" has been experiencing symptoms of Lyme disease for about 2 years now. Not to mention all 4 members of his family have it. If he goes to medical, I assume he will be automatically downed, and if he turns out to have Lyme, can he ever go flight side again? Thanks

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a former F-14 driver that was medically separated/discharged because of Lyme Disease.

If you don't catch it right away, it will mess you up. He's now a GS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought I had it one semester but it turned out to be "psy·cho·so·mat·ic"

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I know a former F-14 driver that is up here in DC and went down for lyme as well. From what he told me....the symptoms were/are absolutly horrible. Fatigue, confusion, dementia, (that's right). Don't let this slide because you may or may not be downed. It's a no shit serious neurological disorder. I think me an Shnugg may be talking about the same fella.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It, a waiver is done on a case by case basis. IF I were 'that guy', even if you know him, tell him to use the NOMI waiver guide link next time. I would also tell that guy that if he let the symptoms go untreated for two years, that he ought to also seek treatment for cranial rectalmitis.

http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Miscellaneous.pdf

That link also covers breast implants as well. Good to know... I wonder what her callsign is.:confused::icon_wink:icon_smil

Pitt2005

Thanks for the info guys. I am well versed in the disease, just didn't have any info on the aviation side of it to refernce. Thanks. Going to the doc.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Hey man, best of luck. Sorry. I just went back and read my earlier post. Didn't mean to make jokes, Not cool.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Six times diagnosed, all caught early and treated. Twice more suspected, but it turned out to be something else. I was lucky, 5/6 times I got the rash.

What predictable behaviour caused the six times...hiking in brush, wandering off the rough in search of golf balls, etc???

sickboy

pilot
What predictable behaviour caused the six times...hiking in brush, wandering off the rough in search of golf balls, etc???

Working/living on a farm, Boy Scout trips, general living in hicksville Pennsylvania. I haven't had any symptoms or a tick since I was 18.