• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LT Adam “Forrest Gronk” Johnson

Hair Warrior

Contributor

So sad. Says it was an accident while hiking in a national park. I have been watching some of David Paulides, and going outdoors with the fam, so it hits close to home. LT Johnson sounds like he was a well rounded officer.

exNavyOffRec

I read that today as well, very sad. I am on one of the main flight routes those rescue helos take to get to the cascades, there have been several recoveries utilizing that location this year to the point every time I hear them fly over my house I know someones family is going to go through a rough time.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn. I was just on a solo hike into the Cascades this past weekend. :(

It's always important, especially the older you get, to realize that Mother Nature really doesn't give a rip.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Sad news. I did not know him but he seems like a good guy. @nittany03 is spot on...nature is as mean as she is lovely. I know the area where he was hiking, it can be challenging.

exNavyOffRec

Damn. I was just on a solo hike into the Cascades this past weekend. :(

It's always important, especially the older you get, to realize that Mother Nature really doesn't give a rip.

unfortunately where I live we see the results of mother nature all the time, about 15 miles from me is a place where several people have been injured or drowned this year, people dive in the water and get caught underneath by branches, this place still has a young mans body that authorities believe is stuck in this swimming hole and they can't see well enough to find and recover him.

There was a post about the recovery of LT Johnson in my city FB group very unfortunate accident after they made the recovery.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
unfortunately where I live we see the results of mother nature all the time, about 15 miles from me is a place where several people have been injured or drowned this year, people dive in the water and get caught underneath by branches, this place still has a young mans body that authorities believe is stuck in this swimming hole and they can't see well enough to find and recover him.

There was a post about the recovery of LT Johnson in my city FB group very unfortunate accident after they made the recovery.
When I go back innawoods solo overnight, it's with 2 GPS-enabled nav sources (iPhone with cached AllTrails and Garmin) backed up with map and compass, two light sources (iPhone/headlamp), and water purifier in addition to my tent, bag, pad, food, etc. My Leatherman, a fire starter, and a rescue whistle are dummy corded to my belt loop with a decent length of 550 cord.

As an Eagle Scout and a SERE graduate, I figure that's enough to have a fighting chance if shit goes sideways for whatever reason. But at some point, you also just have to make intelligent risk decisions and accept that beyond that, if it's your time, it's your time.

taxi1

pilot
He seemed like a great guy, life at 100%. Hate to hear this.

Was there more about what they think happened? Curious...I’m an outdoor emergency responder.

Edit: saw the news reports, sounds like a fall into the creek. It’s dangerous out there.

RIP, Gronk

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
According to David Paulides, here are some safety tips,

Safety Tips:
  1. Tell others of your location and times of entry and exit - they know to contact authorities if you miss your check in
  2. Check the weather beforehand
  3. Find shelter, start a fire, stay dry, stay put
Packing List:
  • Identification
  • Extra Water
  • Large/Lawn Trash Bag
  • Satellite Phone
  • GPS + Personal Locator Beacon
  • Whistle
  • Knife
  • Firestarter
  • Bright Colors + Extra Layers
  • Firearm + Extra Ammo (for repeated 3-shot signaling)
Here is a different guy's recommended SAR pack list, which is a bit much for a casual hike, but is still good info depending on the season, weather, and terrain: https://searchandrescues.com/master-pack-list

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to David Paulides, here are some safety tips,

Safety Tips:
  1. Tell others of your location and times of entry and exit - they know to contact authorities if you miss your check in
  2. Check the weather beforehand
  3. Find shelter, start a fire, stay dry, stay put
Packing List:
  • Identification
  • Extra Water
  • Large/Lawn Trash Bag
  • Satellite Phone
  • GPS + Personal Locator Beacon
  • Whistle
  • Knife
  • Firestarter
  • Bright Colors + Extra Layers
  • Firearm + Extra Ammo (for repeated 3-shot signaling)
Here is a different guy's recommended SAR pack list, which is a bit much for a casual hike, but is still good info depending on the season, weather, and terrain: https://searchandrescues.com/master-pack-list
All well and good. But useless if you crack your skull open. Shit happens. We may never know what led to his apparent fall. But first and foremost, use your head, consider the downside risk. The moment you leave the house on a solo outing you have made your first compromise in safety. All other decisions going forth spring from that.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
All well and good. But useless if you crack your skull open. Shit happens. We may never know what led to his apparent fall. But first and foremost, use your head, consider the downside risk. The moment you leave the house on a solo outing you have made your first compromise in safety. All other decisions going forth spring from that.
Indeed. My cousin (who was a SAR team member in the Rockies) and his three similarly experienced friends went backcountry climbing-to-ski in spring conditions a few years ago. They were not roped-up when a small rockslide/ice-slide came rushing down their trail, and sent them tumbling 200' down. Only two of the four lived. They all would have lived if they had roped-up. My cousin still isn't totally over it, emotionally. ☹

exNavyOffRec

He seemed like a great guy, life at 100%. Hate to hear this.

Was there more about what they think happened? Curious...I’m an outdoor emergency responder.

Edit: saw the news reports, sounds like a fall into the creek. It’s dangerous out there.

RIP, Gronk

from what I remember of the posting it gave a bit more info on the injuries sustained, just an unfortunate accident that ended in the worst way possible.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I'm late to this and didn't hear this news. My cousin is a NFO in that squadron right now, but we rarely communicate as he's a pretty busy dude....always tough losing a shipmate.