• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lots of yes answers at MEPS?

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Anyone here felt they said yes to a lot of answers to MEPS and still got through with no real problems?

I was reviewing the medical form and I have a good amount of Yes answers. I will list them with explanations.

-Ever use an inhaler? Yes, was prescribed it once when I had a cold

-Ever have shoulder pain? Yes, I twisted my arm a few years ago and had physical therapy for it. No issues anymore

-Ever have a hemorrhoid? Yes, I got one from lifting too much once at the gym. It's gone now (never saw a doc for it, but I assume there is a possibility they can see if one was there at some point)

-Ever used illegal dugs? Yes marijuana twice

-Ever been treated in the emergency room? Sort of Yes, When I turned 21, I was never really a drinker. Went to a fraternity party my first weekend at school, did some shots for the first time mixed with beer and long story short, I lost my roomates, fraternity guys dropped me off at the bus stop across from my dorm, university police saw me, I was pretty intoxicated, he told me he wanted me to go get checked out at the hospital, I went to the ER, refused all treatment and checked out when my friend came and got me.. (How to I explain this on the meps forms)

-Ever been a patient in a hospital, yes because of the question above

-Ever experience heartburn? Yes, I was diagnosed with acid reflux 2 yrs ago, been off any prescription for over a year..

-Ever had any surgeries? Yes got my wisdoms yanked in the Air Force..

-Has it ever burned when you urinated, Yes, I thought I had a UTI, tests came back negative, was checked for std's that came back negative, had blood work done those came back fine, and all other tests from the urine came back fine.. Next step the doc offered was to probe me.. I ran out of the room and was in my car driving away in mid sentence.. Not really of course haha.. but I told him I was willing to wait, well after a few days everything went away and I was fine and have been fine since.. (this was beginning of summer) This was after eating subway, and no joke my friend said he had the same problem after eating subway.. Coincidence??

Shoot I think that's it.. But I just feel like I have a scroll of yes answers.. Not saying that they all require waivers but will the doc's look at me and show me the door? Or is this usual for many? I remember when I was at meps the first time (8yrs ago) the only thing I had to put down was chicken pox.

Should of stayed my ass in the military..

Any insight would be great.. Thanks guys.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Before I start.....I am no doc.

However, my insight is that if it was diagnosed and there is a paper trail then might as well put it down. The only thing you may have to explain is the inhaler and how it was not diagnosed as asthma.

I had many of your same situations and it turned out fine for me.......well, except for the burning piss thing, you are on your own there!

If you tap it, wrap it.

Cheers

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are saying yes too much when you don't need to say anything about some of these questions. It's not a brag sheet. You're volunteering way too much info on things that didn't turn out to be anything of consequence (ie if you refused treatment, you haven't been admitted as a patient; I'd more more about being in police custody and whether that was on your record).

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
You are saying yes too much when you don't need to say anything about some of these questions. It's not a brag sheet. You're volunteering way too much info on things that didn't turn out to be anything of consequence (ie if you refused treatment, you haven't been admitted as a patient; I'd more more about being in police custody and whether that was on your record).

Well I figured anything with paperwork, I mean yes I still refused treatment at the hospital but I was still admitted and have paperwork on being there.

will92

I put down being hospitalized when I was in the 6th grade. Grandparents were watching my brother and I (parents at the Navy-MC Ball). We went to church, I stood up, and I took a header. Grandmother screamed "Oh my God, he's dead" (seriously, it wasn't pretty).

Someone called an ambulance, a freak-show ensued, and I went to the hospital. EKG, blood, etc. Doctors said it was no big deal and it was all because I didn't eat enough during the day and it was hot as hell in the church.

So MEPS was last Friday. I figured that since there was a record I should put it down and... I got deferred. They said they wanted to see documentation and wouldn't let me explain it.

I didn't even get to the "Underwear Olympics." :(

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I put down being hospitalized when I was in the 6th grade. Grandparents were watching my brother and I (parents at the Navy-MC Ball). We went to church, I stood up, and I took a header. Grandmother screamed "Oh my God, he's dead" (seriously, it wasn't pretty).

Someone called an ambulance, a freak-show ensued, and I went to the hospital. EKG, blood, etc. Doctors said it was no big deal and it was all because I didn't eat enough during the day and it was hot as hell in the church.

So MEPS was last Friday. I figured that since there was a record I should put it down and... I got deferred. They said they wanted to see documentation and wouldn't let me explain it.

I didn't even get to the "Underwear Olympics." :(

Good point to learn here is that at MEPS if you write something you had better have the documentation to go along with it.
Case in point, I was born with a double hernia. It was repaired when I was 2 months old. The surgeon who did the repair died 15 years ago. I still spent over a month tracking the paperwork down for MEPS. Eventually I had every piece of medical paperwork and just handed it to the doc at MEPS. He leafed through it and said something to the effect of "Well you don't have any lost mobility. And that explains these two scars. You're good to go. I also am a Marine. I flew Huey's in Vietnam. Get your wings and you can buy me some beer while I tell you some stories. Good luck!"

And I intend to find him once I wing, and take him up on his stories. Semper Fi!

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Yea that's my plan is to go in there with everything I say having documentation for.. I just hope half my stuff will be signed off with no waiver needed.. Is there a limit to waivers? How many people in here have had a handful of waivers just because things were minor and not really serious but has a good amount of non serious issues.

Also, whats the alcohol policy.. am I considered to be under and conditions to the meps having that one incident? Or is that something that would be signed of as an isolated incident..

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I took the PFT today.. Failed it the first time haha, because I didn't know what was going on and the lady spoke poor english.. My doctor comes back and he says these results are bad, were you giving it 100%? I said I don't know what I was doing can we take it again? He's like well I'm not printing this off if you're trying to get in the military we will retest you.

So I retest and ACE it.. he's like man now those are the numbers I wanted to see, were you sleeping back there the first time? I said well the little graphic for children second time around helped trying to blow the rocket to the moon..was inspiring.. haha.. Good times. So one thing down.. plenty to go. I'll keep you all updated throughout and what happens.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I took the PFT today.. Failed it the first time haha, because I didn't know what was going on and the lady spoke poor english.. My doctor comes back and he says these results are bad, were you giving it 100%? I said I don't know what I was doing can we take it again? He's like well I'm not printing this off if you're trying to get in the military we will retest you.

So I retest and ACE it.. he's like man now those are the numbers I wanted to see, were you sleeping back there the first time? I said well the little graphic for children second time around helped trying to blow the rocket to the moon..was inspiring.. haha.. Good times. So one thing down.. plenty to go. I'll keep you all updated throughout and what happens.

PFT>--- Where you do pullups, crunches and run 3 miles?