• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lost Prof. Rec. Considering other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpack

Well, I'm pretty upset/disappointed. I am 27 and after graduate school have been working in the corporate world for awhile now. I considered naval aviation after undergrad., after graduate school and before this my 2nd job. Finally at the age of 27 I figured out that I have been missing out on what I REALLY wanted to do and after 6 months of studying, applying, testing and being recommended for NFO, I was disqualified for Color Vision. Failed the Farnsworth Lantern. I had peole (recruits) walking in front of me during the test twice! It was very distracting. Anyone think they would retest me on the Farnsworth Lantern? Doubt it, right? So now, the only communities I can apply for are Supply or Cryptology.

Couple of Questions for the experienced guys/gals out there. I know Cryptology is not for me but what are the thoughts on Supply? What are the communities in the Marines, Air Force that may be available? I can currently PT at the Marine level. I'm also considering Law Enforcement careers. Any insight would be appreciated. After being Pro. Recced this is a heartbreaker.

Daedalus

I'm not an expert, but I have read of this happening many times, from other posts. People retook the test or another version and passed, so keep digging, and retake the test (possibly with a civilian doc?)

bcw

I failed my depth perception test at Meps. I have 20-10 vision. I went to my eye doctor and passed his test with flying colors. Then went to a NAS and passed that test.(did not miss one) Three of us went to the NAS and all passed. My recruiter told me that they have taken quite a few people up to the NAS for the same test.

Wolfpack

So you failed the depth perception test after your pro. rec. and before your final select and they let you retake it? What was the reasoning for letting you retake? Because you passed the civilian version? I said to my recruiter Friday, "Will they let me retake the test?" and he said no. I forgot to mention that people were walking in front of me. I have 20/17 vision and passed depth perception but had trouble with the color. Can someone who took another test or somehow made this work chime in? Now I'm really wondering how you can make this happen.

bcw

I went to Meps before I received my Pro-rec. I was not told at Meps that I failed the depth test. The day we went to send in my findocs my recruiter called and told me. He set up an appointment at the NAS the following day. That afternoon I dropped by the civilian eye doc and passed the test. I got him to write a letter about my vision and depth perception. Following day I went to the NAS. The lady giving the test at Meps had screwed up a lot of people. Everything I could find said you should be able to retake it. I would not give up on it.

DairyCreamer

Yah, the FLT is a Green/White/Red color blindness test. Basically, you look at a light that's flashed to you, and you tell them what color it is. Back when I was applying to the Naval Academy, I had to drive all the way from my home in Denver down to the Air Force Academy to take that dumb test, since the AFA was the closest location where the Farnworth was located.

Oh well... I mean, really, if you're not color blind, it's a stupid and boring little test, if you ARE color blind, well, they'll figure it out pretty easily :)

Anyway, short answer is yes :)

~Nate

Originally posted by cierno31
What is the Farnsworth Lantern Test and what does it measure? Is it a color blind test?

Status
Not open for further replies.