• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LORs

llc21

So I'm in the processing of getting my application and whatnot together, but I have a question, and it could be considered a really dumb one. So here it goes, I've noticed quite a bit of people on here with several LORs, are those just from the character references you turn in, or are they additional? If anyone knows, I'd appreciate an answer please.

Also if anyone is reading this that has already been selected, did you have any interviews? I was told I didn't need them, which is nice since I live just about nowhere near a naval base. Thanks!

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
The LORs that I've seen on here look like they are all of the LORs in a person's package. I've seen most put down big one's like O-5s and up, congressmen, etc. and I've also seen some people put their professors and employers as well.

As far as the interviews go, my recruiter told they are not required but it can definately enhance your package. Being away from a Naval base should not be a problem. My recruiter is scheduling a phone interview with an officer in INTEL. Hope this helps

NavyBlueRaider

I was recently selected SNA. Because I had a lower GPA of 3.2 and I'm extremely young, I had to get three O-6 officer interviews to give me a package competitive enough to get me in. I also had some character references from previous employers, but I didn't feel that they counted for much. As for not being around any naval bases, I live in Middle TN and there aren't any naval bases around, but you will be surprised to find out that there might be a high ranking retired officers that lives near you that would be willing to give you an interview.

Lonestar155

is good to go
I live in the hippy capitol of the country. Luckily this fleetweek, im meeting the CO of a Marine fighter attack squadron. Should be a good talk. Anyways dont you have any buddies in the military? Ask them to put in a word to their officers for an interview.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
llc21:

I went through BDCP several years ago, and at the time knew no one in the military who would have been able to write me a letter. LORs from military personnel, active duty or retired, are NOT REQUIRED by any means. I realize that you didn't ask that specifically, but I see it on the forum a lot (as well as this specific thread). Yes, if you happen to know someone who is/was a military officer, they would be a good person to ask for a letter, but don't feel like you need to go out of your way to find a military member. It's been said before here on this website, but a generic letter from a retired officer who barely knows you won't carry near as much weight as a personal letter from someone who really knows you and can provide solid evidence of your character, worth ethic, and other qualities. I see a lot of guys on this site who get excited about having LORs from high ranking officers. I'm telling you from personal experience that they are not necessary. All you need is someone who is capable of attesting to your character. Your best choices would be people who had a substantial interaction with you over a period of time.

To answer your original question - the navy will send a questionnaire to your references. They can simply fill it out and return it, or as my references did, they can include an additional letter to go with it.

I never interviewed with anyone at all, nor did my recruiter mention such.

llc21

Thanks so much for all the help. I actually now have a reference from one of my professors who just told me that he is a retired naval officer. I shocked! Big help, really turned my outlook around!