• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN LOR template for USNA?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I've been asked to write a LOR for a young person applying (he's well in into the third or fourth hoop with his Senator and USNA) - not sure what the protocol is as a former Naval Officer. Anyone have a template or an example they can share?

Renegade One

None
Sign it "Very respectfully, "

Standard Navy letter format should work, yes? From/To/Subject, words, complimentary close, signature.

If it takes you more than a full page, you may be blathering. The Senator's not actually going to read it. Would be good if it catches a staffer's interest.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Sign it "Very respectfully, "

Standard Navy letter format should work, yes? From/To/Subject, words, complimentary close, signature.

If it takes you more than a full page, you may be blathering. The Senator's not actually going to read it. Would be good if it catches a staffer's interest.
Also, he should date it for a Wednesday and provide a link to the following awesome YouTube video...

johnboyA6E

None
Is the letter for the MOC nomination? Or is the letter going to USNA? or both?

I just attended BGO training at USNA, and they covered this in some detail. Basically, they will accept a LOR from anyone, but they don't really encourage it, unless there is some specific info about the candidate in the letter that they can't get elsewhere. Ie. if the letter says "Jimmy Neutron is a fine young man, I've known his family for many years, he's a model student, great athlete, outstanding leader and will make a fine midshipman", the letter won't really help him, even if you are an O-7. But if the letter includes first hand observations, over some period of time, of some great things he's done, or it includes some great info that isn't included anywhere else in the application, then it can help a lot.

The above is specific to USNA admissions. The senators an congressman all do things differently, so I would look at their specific instructions. Generally, a letter will never hurt, but it needs to be a good one to actually help.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Is the letter for the MOC nomination? Or is the letter going to USNA? or both?

I just attended BGO training at USNA, and they covered this in some detail. Basically, they will accept a LOR from anyone, but they don't really encourage it, unless there is some specific info about the candidate in the letter that they can't get elsewhere. Ie. if the letter says "Jimmy Neutron is a fine young man, I've known his family for many years, he's a model student, great athlete, outstanding leader and will make a fine midshipman", the letter won't really help him, even if you are an O-7. But if the letter includes first hand observations, over some period of time, of some great things he's done, or it includes some great info that isn't included anywhere else in the application, then it can help a lot.

The above is specific to USNA admissions. The senators an congressman all do things differently, so I would look at their specific instructions. Generally, a letter will never hurt, but it needs to be a good one to actually help.
I’m the flight instructor for the applicant and I was asked to submit for MOC. I’m totally in knowledgeable on the process being a rotc puke!!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Dear Canoe U,

I am honored to recommend Jimmy Newtron for a position with the Class of 20XX at the United States Naval Academy. True, Mr. Newtron is a fine young man and I've known his family for many years. He is a model student, a great athlete, an outstanding leader and will make a fine midshipman. I am mostly sure he hasn't approached any young women in high school in such a way that will prevent him from becoming a distinguished justice with the Supreme Court in the next 35 to 40 years.

Beyond that, I am pleased to note that Mr. Newtron successfully departed from K(airport) in a single engine aircraft as the sole manipulator of the controls, flew over 50 miles, and actually returned with the exact same airplane he left in. This remarkable accomplishment alone marks him as a leader among men. It is with my fullest assurance that he might not cheat on any exams that I recommend Mr. Newtron to your ancient and honorable school - and as a CH-46 driver you can trust me.

Very Respectfully,

Chuck Mk23, CDR USNR (Ret)