• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LOR advice

Lonestar155

is good to go
Going through some of the stats and scores I noticed that many of you had some letters of recommendations from some very important if not significant people. I am very active myself but I am not involved with individuals that can help me become an officer. My question is where do you meet these people? All the advice helps!! thanks

gtg941f

pilot
it's great to have letters from people that are 'important', but in reality everybody knows that they're just professional people pleasers and don't personally know the candidates.

Most important is to get LORs from people who actually know you and can give the board a good word. For me, these people included former employers, college advisors, etc.

Just my two cents.

AV8BQAR

Mech
LOR's

My initial posting at AirWarriors...

I just put in a reenlistment package that included 2 letters from Colonels and 2 from LtCol's. I know them all personally and their letters reflected it.

My PSEP recruiter said my letters are VERY beneficial. Since I have been out for 6 years and 5 months, I need all the help I can get. It was easy for me, but you need to get out and network. You may have family members that know someone. Do take advantage of any work supervisors/ college advisors. You can ask for as many letters as you please, and submit the ones that seem the most beneficial. Remember to thank them whether you use their letter or not.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I think it helps to focus on what the person could write about you. For example, try to get a letter saying you're dependable, like an employer. Also go for a professor who can talk about dedication, intelligence, professionalism, etc. If you're big into church, I bet a priest could write a nice letter as well. When I applied, I didn't know any carrier captains, senators or jesus to write for me. Try to figure out who has written a lot of letters and become buddies.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
One thing to note is that you need at least 3 LOR's. You are also required to get one from your supervisor at every employer you've had in the last 3 years. Other LOR's are only required if you don't hit at least 3 with that. I've heard conflicting stories as to how much weight they're given (ranging from making the package to being a tie breaker).

I did my employers from the last two years, which totalled 2 letters. I then went to the CIO of my regular summer job, and asked him for an additional one, as well as a family friend who happens to be a catholic priest.

I was really worried because the closest thing I had to a military LOR was an IT manager at a defense contractor. But the board didn't seem to find a problem with it, so it's probably not worth losing sleep over.