• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for some help

skann.b

I posted this on another forum but to no avail so please if anyone has any information regarding this please let me know.

Hello there, new to the forums looking for some helpful advice.
I am a second year NROTC scholarship student attending a University for an engineering major.

My dilemma is that I have come to dislike my campus with a passion. I love the NROTC unit and the program and am fully dedicated to my obligations but I find myself falling into bouts of depression about physically where I am.

So my question is, it is possible to keep the NROTC scholarship and transfer to a different college to pursue the same major? Or am I trapped and just need to get over it?

Also, as a side note I know I'm being selfish with such an amazing scholarship that others have been rejected from... but I feel like I am rapidly slipping away and into a downward spiral. This school, which I won't mention, was my dream school years ago, I put it on such a pedestal. But then I got here and it was no better (if not, worse) than other colleges that I have no interest in. NROTC was the only thing keeping me going and where i am is just starting to weigh down. Please if anyone has any information if a current scholarship student can be put down for even a waiting list for another university after the academic year (maybe even during the next semester). I would be so thankful to anyone with knowledge about this.

Thank you.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You definitely can transfer your scholarship to other schools in the middle of the program. When I was a mid we had some people leave for other schools, and we picked up some mids who transferred in. That being said, I don't know how the process works. Honestly, I'd advise you to go talk to the staff at your ROTC unit about your issues. If you let them know you want to be in NROTC and become an officer, but just not at that school, they can point you in the right direction in possibly getting a transfer.

d3west86

If your current location is Texas...I'd venture to guess that you might be in the Corps of Cadets at A&M (my uncles was). If so...yeah...that would suck. Haha. The good news is that you can change to a different school and unit. I have a couple of friends who did it back when I was in ROTC.

skann.b

Don't worry, 21 is just around the corner.
Heh, already 21 here. My early fall birthday made me a bit of a late bloomer.

But thank you all so much, there's just no available information on the internet and I was hesitant to ask the staff because I would be telling them I want to leave so again, thank you all very much for the help.

EDIT: Also, I would probably seek a campus in the state where I was born and raised. From what I have heard ("heard" being the key word) is that the Navy may give a scholarship student a transfer option if it means that the Navy can pay less for home-state tuition.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know if price has much to do with it, considering my senior year we had a kid transfer from Georgia Tech where I think he was getting in state tuition to Vanderbilt.

And in the end, don't worry about the staff. They aren't part of your school and they shouldn't get their feelings hurt if you don't like that school. Their job is to train you to get a commission, so it couldn't hurt asking about transferring the scholarship, since in the end they would be helping you towards your commission, just not there.

Aggie08

IFS complete, starting API June 26!
If your current location is Texas...I'd venture to guess that you might be in the Corps of Cadets at A&M (my uncles was). If so...yeah...that would suck. Haha. The good news is that you can change to a different school and unit. I have a couple of friends who did it back when I was in ROTC.

If you are in the Corps at A&M, I would advise you to stick it out. It gets better, honestly! And you get the satisfaction of having been placed in a situation where life sucks for a few years and you got through it anyway. I'm not far into flight school, but there have been many times already where I have been able to tell myself "well, it's not as bad as the corps" and so I'm in a good mood when others are bitching.

cclement

None
I would say instate tuition would be a good bonus to your package. We had one kid transfer from Univ of Chicago to Tulane, and they wouldn't transfer the scholarship. He went on LOA, and then he competed for a scholarship at our unit. I think a significantly lower tuition would definitely help your case for changing your scholarship.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Dude, I'm sorry you no longer like your school and I wish you all the luck in the world that you find yourself somewhere where you can be happier. Freshman year can be rough for some people in ROTC, and sophomore year isn't called the "sophomore slump" for no reason -- it gets better though (Remember: you get out what you put in and you can totally make the most of any situation).

Also remember that in the Navy you might find yourself in places that aren't awesome too. If you don't like your ship, you can't just ask for a transfer. Kingsville isn't the most fun town in the world either, but there's a job to be done and the studs here definitely make the most of the location. You've made it this far, so I'm sure you can find your niche there too.

Whatever you decide, I hope it all works out for you -- best of luck.

~Red

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Sophomore year was definitely my worst year at school as well. I considered transferring, but stuck it out. In the end, I was glad stayed.

Agreed. That was a rough year. I had pretty low morale in my second year. It didn't hit me as early as August, but it hit me pretty hard. And yeah, most schools don't live up to their reputation in the end, especially engineering and technology schools that make their bread and butter in research, but are still obliged to churn out undergrads/victims.

Try to stay with it and keep your head up. I started rowing crew, and had some other activities. It kept me busy and the physical activity keeps the endorphins flowing.

In the end, maybe you'll be able to get through and realize that you picked your alma mater for the right reasons. Just ask some academy guys.

skann.b

I have found no drive to strive for grades. I am Hispanic and family is very important to me with how I was raised, needless to say I am very far away from them and it takes a toll. I know that, once commissioned, I will have no say in where I go... but I would enjoy being able to spend quality time with them before that. Also, once commissioned (and hopefully in flight school) I will be doing what I love and never have a minute of rest. But I am lethargic. As far as an NROTC student, I actually have a lot of downtime but now all I do is spend it in my room getting work done (with no really care as to how I'm doing) and texting/emailing my parents and my younger sibling. Nothing else. The campus has just lost it's luster, it's too small even though I thought that was what I wanted and I just feel like I'm not being "all I can be" here. I do love the unit.. but I need to stay or leave for me.

Side Note: An NROTC buddy of mine is going through the same thing and I have been discussing it with him since I started this thread. If there is anyone who knows if you can transfers to a different college *and* go from a tier 1 to a tier 2 major while keeping your scholarship it would really help him out. I told him I have no idea since I want to stay in tier 1 for AE but that I would ask on this very helpful forum.