• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for insight on OCS life.

GKim14

Hello, I have been lurking and reading many threads on this forum, it is great to have access to tons of information. I cannot seem to find a thread that explains how life is during OCS.

I realize it won't be the most comfortable experience but how intense is training? Is there sleep depravation? Time to recover?

I have been unable to pull the trigger on contacting my OSO to begin my packet because the mystery of OCS keeps me from committing. I hope that your answers will clear up any confusion I have with OCS.

Thanks.

GKim14

A quick google or youtube search of Navy OCS should give you some good insight.

Since I am already here and typing, I will provide two links:
http://www.navydads.com/group/navyocsdads/forum/topics/day-one-of-navy-officer-candidate-school

At the end of the day, will the mystery of how 13 weeks will go really keep you from a career and life changing decision? What is the worst they can do, hang you by your toenails?

Thank you for sharing that with me. I noticed that was Navy ocs, is that going to be similar to what Marines go through?

Whitefoot

None
I will go ahead and say that I did not pay attention to the fact that this post is under Marine OCS. I am sure the same search would apply. However, I cannot attest to the conditions of Marine OCS.

Renegade One

None
I will go ahead and say that I did not pay attention to the fact that this post is under Marine OCS. I am sure the same search would apply. However, I cannot attest to the conditions of Marine OCS.
I guess I agree with Whitefoot. I didn't go through Marine OCS either, but how bad could it be, given what awaits at the end?
Is there going to be (1) sleep deprivation, (2) physical exhaustion, (3) some level of self-doubt?, (4) not enough time to really do anything perfectly?, (5) some individuals perhaps using a higher speech volume than you might think appropriate?, (6) huge new challenges…physical and mental…perhaps moral? (7) You questioning what you really want to do with your life?
Yes…to all of that, and yes to a lot more that I probably lack the experience to list.

The payback: A commission as a Marine Officer and a life forever changed?

That's the trade-off, I suppose. Only you can make that choice.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
It's ten weeks. (I guess you would be shooting for OCC and not PLC, which is two six week sessions during the summers in college.)
It sucks (sort-of).
It always comes to an end.
Thousands before you have successfully completed it. And I don't think any candidate has ever died during OCS, so there's that.

To answer your questions. Yes. Yes. Yes. It is all manageable though. Also, do not think that just because you complete OCS and earn your commission that the suck goes away. TBS sucks too. Pensacola is fun though, so you have that to look forward to if you get an air contract.

In short, contact an OSO. He/She will get you up to speed on what to expect. Also, head over to www.marineocs.com, it is a Marine centric forum.

Good luck.

GKim14

It's ten weeks. (I guess you would be shooting for OCC and not PLC, which is two six week sessions during the summers in college.)
It sucks (sort-of).
It always comes to an end.
Thousands before you have successfully completed it. And I don't think any candidate has ever died during OCS, so there's that.

To answer your questions. Yes. Yes. Yes. It is all manageable though. Also, do not think that just because you complete OCS and earn your commission that the suck goes away. TBS sucks too. Pensacola is fun though, so you have that to look forward to if you get an air contract.

In short, contact an OSO. He/She will get you up to speed on what to expect. Also, head over to www.marineocs.com, it is a Marine centric forum.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information. The mystery of OCS is killing me but like you said it is doable, thousands have done it before.

I actually had plans to meet with a officer this past monday, however I canceled. I explained to him that I felt unworthy to come into his office to ask what the Marines could do for me and that I needed some more time to make this decision. In my eyes, if I walk into those doors I am in all in.

I have a few more questions.

Can someone please explain the OCS process? Maybe it is not the same for everyone but I was wondering exactly what happens while I complete the packet. Like when do I get the physicals done typically or interviewed. My searches only bring up what the process of preliminary OCS process itself.

The PFT scoring. When do they typically do this? The officer I briefly talked to said it would be when I am ready.

I am also wondering how long the commitment is after a candidate gets a commission. I keep finding mixed answers in my searches.

Thanks for your time.

edit: Forgot to ask about injuries. What happens if you injure yourself while at OCS?

Last edited:

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
...what the Marines could do for me... if I walk into those doors I am in all in.
The Marines can provide you with a lot of great opportunities, but the Corps isn't here to do anything for you in particular.

You're definitely not "all in" if you walk through the doors. The OSO is there to provide the Marines with the best qualified applicants out there. That's why his title includes "officer selection" rather than just recruiter. He's not there to pump recruits through the program like on the enlisted side of things. Walk in, be friendly (and respectful), and chat with the OSO, his staff, and some of the other candidates in there. It shows confidence and you can always tell him that you want to get a feel for things before you decide to start your package. And if it's not for you, just let him know and he shouldn't bother you with phone calls or anything. It was pretty low pressure with me.

Can someone please explain the OCS process? Maybe it is not the same for everyone but I was wondering exactly what happens while I complete the packet. Like when do I get the physicals done typically or interviewed. My searches only bring up what the process of preliminary OCS process itself.

The PFT scoring. When do they typically do this? The officer I briefly talked to said it would be when I am ready.
All of these will be answered if you go have a casual sit-down with your OSO. You will submit your package to the selection board. So some time after you begin your packet you will go get your physical done and run a PFT. Your OSO will try to make sure you have a competitive package before it's submitted. It looks bad for him if he submits weak packages. So if you need to get better LORs, PFT scores, or waivers he will usually delay submitting your package.

I am also wondering how long the commitment is after a candidate gets a commission. What happens if you injure yourself while at OCS?
Typically it's 4 years. If you can continue to train, you can stay. If it's too bad, you're headed home. When I went through the guys that went home for an injury usually got the opportunity to come back next time though.

GKim14

@UCbearcat

Thanks for your insight.

What I mean by "all in" if I was to walk into his office, is my mentality. I would be committed if the OSO is willing to put time towards putting my packet together.

It seems as though going in and physically meeting the OSO is the best option.

Thanks

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
The OSO will be able to answer most of your questions far better than we could. I respect the mentality thing, but he is going to be your best source of information regarding the process of applying and attending OCS.

Check out www.marineocs.com for the experiences of the most recent graduates and guys preparing to go to OCS.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
I felt unworthy to come into his office to ask what the Marines could do for me
Actually, the OSO and his/her chain of command is going to want to know what YOU have to offer the Marine Corps if extended the privilege of commissioning.

Can someone please explain the OCS process? Maybe it is not the same for everyone but I was wondering exactly what happens while I complete the packet.
I went to OCS in 1998, so it maybe similar with a few changes, but here goes. . .

The OSO will interview you; will ask you to get some paperwork done; send LORs out; ask you to get your education credentials; check your qualifications (SAT scores or ASVAB---it's an either/or deal); take your physical; take the PFT; contract for your OCS class; attend meetings put out by the OSO; ship to OCS.

I am also wondering how long the commitment is after a candidate gets a commission.
Unless things have changed since 1998, an OCS commission service obligation is 3.5 years. If you qualify for aviator or flight officer, that obligation is much longer if you get "winged."

Which OCS program are you applying for?

A7Dave

pilot
For god's sake, don't over think this!!!

Do you want to be a Marine or Navy office? Then F-ing apply for it. OCS, Navy or Marine will make sure you are miserable and will find your weaknesses. Once they find your weakness, they will stick their finger in it and twist. Your job is to ignore the pain and harassment and do your job - no matter how miserable you are.

Sleep deprivation? Big F-ng deal. My current job is all about dealing with fatigue. I was up for 20 hours, got a 2 hour sleep on the floor and then had to land a 450,000 pound airplane. It's life. Haven't you pulled an all-nighter in college? Any job in the military will involve working without a comfy 8 + hours of sleep in a nice dry bed. You'll learn to nap on linoleum, tile, dirt and nylon webbing, with a catapult firing over your bunk, and jam down your meal down your pie-hole, then run back out to do some more.

Jesus. Do you want to be an officer or a social worker? This might sound harsh, but damn, OCS is no big deal in the long run. Have you ever had a hard core sports coach? Not much different. You can be an athletic superstar and they'll find your weakness. Push on and get over it. If your feelings are hurt easily, either get a thicker skin or move on to another career path.

Injuries? Typically you'll get rolled back to another class unless you're seriously injured (uncommon).

For god's sake, don't over think this!!!

Do you want to be a Marine or Navy office? Then F-ing apply for it. OCS, Navy or Marine will make sure you are miserable and will find your weaknesses. Once they find your weakness, they will stick their finger in it and twist. Your job is to ignore the pain and harassment and do your job - no matter how miserable you are.

Sleep deprivation? Big F-ng deal. My current job is all about dealing with fatigue. I was up for 20 hours, got a 2 hour sleep on the floor and then had to land a 450,000 pound airplane. It's life. Haven't you pulled an all-nighter in college? Any job in the military will involve working without a comfy 8 + hours of sleep in a nice dry bed. You'll learn to nap on linoleum, tile, dirt and nylon webbing, with a catapult firing over your bunk, and jam down your meal down your pie-hole, then run back out to do some more.

Jesus. Do you want to be an officer or a social worker? This might sound harsh, but damn, OCS is no big deal in the long run. Have you ever had a hard core sports coach? Not much different. You can be an athletic superstar and they'll find your weakness. Push on and get over it. If your feelings are hurt easily, either get a thicker skin or move on to another career path.

Injuries? Typically you'll get rolled back to another class unless you're seriously injured (uncommon).
Preach!