Hello, I'm currently in active pursuit for a career in the Navy and am looking for insight on my current situation. I recently was denied by the two boards I applied for (Supply Corps and Aviation-NFO). I took the ASTB-E and received a 47, 4/4/5 and I realize my scores were not too impressive. My recruiter submitted my package though because my GPA in college was a 3.41. She explained that it could have gone either way for me, and it obviously did not go in my favor. A couple of days after my denial, she informed me there is another selection board meeting for SWO and that I had a greater possibility of being accepted to that. She is very adamant about submitting with my new leadership work experience and letters of recommendation to that board. So this leads me to my insight request given my current thoughts below:
- SWO was not a position I had great interest in when I started this process and I'm not sure it is something I would really enjoy and excel at in serving my country.
- I'm young, 22 right now and graduated from college about a year ago.
- I've taken the ASTB-E once, meaning I have two more opportunities to receive a better score (yes I understand the risk of taking it again).
- I didn't study for very long for my first test (another recruiter was trying to get me to take it quickly) and had no real prior knowledge on physics or aviation.
- I have the slight possibility of a management role to further boost my resume for the Navy Officer program.
- I have a passion for aviation and the business/logistical side of the Navy, but SWO would possibly allow me to begin my career in the Navy quicker.