• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for an airshow routine

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I remember seeing an airshow up at Whidbey several years ago and one of the performers had a great routine, but forgot who it was. It consisted of a yellow, high-wing taildrager and the premise was that the guy had never flown before. He would fly over the airfield erratically, looking like he'd almost hit the ground while having random parts fall off his aircraft. I'm curious if any of you guys have seen it before or know who it might be.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
I remember seeing an airshow up at Whidbey several years ago and one of the performers had a great routine, but forgot who it was. It consisted of a yellow, high-wing taildrager and the premise was that the guy had never flown before. He would fly over the airfield erratically, looking like he'd almost hit the ground while having random parts fall off his aircraft. I'm curious if any of you guys have seen it before or know who it might be.

Kent Pietsch is his name. There are some great videos of his shows on youtube, including some of him landing his Interstate Cadet on top of a motor home.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
i think his schtick is called the flying farmer, if it's who I'm thinking of. Saw the same thing a long time ago, premise was someone was taking a guy up for a ride at the airshow and somehow got booted out on the runway? pretty funny to watch as a kid. I think he might have done the slowest loop I've ever seen, but I may have just made that up in my brain over all these years.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
That's the guy, thanks a lot. Really is something to see, especially as a kid.

HuggyU2

None
He'll be at the Beale Airshow in April, along with his brother Warren (who does a pretty cool routine in a clipped wing Taylorcraft).

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's another: http://www.army.mil/-images/2008/10/29/24571/

Daredevil
Photo by Kari Hawkins, Redstone Rocket Staff
October 29, 2008
army.mil-2008-10-29-1225292806.jpg

Redstone Arsenal aerospace engineer and former Navy jet pilot Paul Johnson uses his air show act to entertain, educate and motivate. He takes his act – which includes the “world’s shortest airport” and the “world’s fastest van” – to small-town air shows from spring to late fall, where he entertains crowds while also talking to school-age students about his career and the importance of getting an education.

Clux4

Banned
Curious myself. Maybe the mods can help turn this thread into " How can I start my own airshow circuit?" Hope the OP does not mind :D

Speaking of which, the Air National Guard and I think the Guard both have planes that do airshows. All painted with their recruiting theme. How do you get a job like that? Got to be nice. You are not part of the Thunderbirds but you get your own show bird!!
Probably a Reserve or Guard gig?? Geat Idea!!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
or, how does one get into the Red Bull Air Races...

i think my retirement account will probably not support my desire for an Extra 300 of my own, so how the hell do i get someone to pay for me to fly theirs.... hmmmm

Clux4

Banned
If you have the money to at least finance one, you could sell the paint scheme to a company for advertisement with the hopes that whatever you get for advertisement would cover maintenance and your note. and if there is anything left, you can buy use for beer :D

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I remember reading on the Red Bull site that you have to be active in the airshow circuit with your own routine, I believe. Then you try out if they have a slot. I'd love to get into aerobatics if they weren't so expensive.