• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for Advice Regarding PLC Program

sportsharks

Like most people here, I am trying to become a Naval Aviator. I just finished my 5th semester of college. I am majoring in History and Secondary Education. I have been in contact with my OSO since August, but only could give my full attention to the process for the last month and a half. I play a Division-I sport at my college that takes up most of my time in the fall. Anyway, I was told that there were no air contracts left for class of 2012 (my class), so I added a second major (Secondary Education) which would delay my graduation until 2013. Clearly, I want to do this, and the decision was back by my parents, so that's fine. Before going further into my question/story, I'll post my "stats"...

ASTB: 60 7/7/7
SAT:1390
GPA: ~3.81
Extra Curricular: 3 years D-1 sport, teen stress hotline worker, holiday toys for tots volunteer
LOR's: 3 professors, sports coach, employers
PFT: ~280 (18 pull-ups, 100 crunches, 19:10 on the 3-mile)

I think given the numbers, I have a chance of getting accepted, but several things complicate the matter. First, I have not been to MEPS because I have taken a long time with my medical paperwork. I have had a few surgeries that it has been a hassle to get the paperwork because I moved before I went back to school, so it is not like my parents can help. I feel as if they may construe it as lack of effort on my part, but in reality, I just couldn't deal with faxing medical records easily at school. I should have them when I go back to school in January though.

However, it is the next issue that complicates things for me. I sustained an injury during my sports season that may keep me out of action for a while. I hurt my foot pretty badly, but managed to play through it with tape and pain. I got it checked before I left school and now I have a surgery that has a 6-8 month recovery ahead of me. At most, I suspected a broken bone and 6-8 weeks in a cast, not 6-8 months.

So I guess my question is what should I do?

I am really worried about getting the surgery and missing PLC 1 in summer 2011. I am afraid that I won't get contracted for the 10-week course in 2012. I considered playing through it, but worry that if it gets hurt at PLC in 2011 I could get into trouble for non-disclosure, or worse, lose my spot. Plus, I was planning to apply for some tuition assistance after 2011 to help defray costs, which would have to be put off (it is not about the money for me, considering I added another year, but just to help ease that).

Honestly, I want an air contract bad enough that I was willing to go to school for another year, at great cost, but have been thrown for a loop by this injury news. I have not made an decisions yet, as final word on the injury is pending a second opinion and a cat scan. Any advice? Thanks for your time.

J

JJax107

Im age 25 PLC-Aviation program and about to air contract as well. Just waiting to take ASTB. Ill be graduating class of spring 2013. I just finished all my medical requirements and general application pretty quickly. My advice is to finish medical as soon as possible and just be honest about everything, because eventually theyll find out if youre hiding something in your medical records. I was told by my OSO its best to do two 6 week OCS summers if you want to go into air contract. I understand the PLC option being attractive because it guarantees you flight school slot, but in your situation with only 3 semesters to go Id take my chances of finishing up my bachelors and going OTS route. Youll just be 21 or 22 years old when youre done so youll still be pretty young. Also itll look better as far as sugeries and injuries on your record being further down road

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If you need a surgery and recovery time, you likely won't be ready for PLC this summer. Tell your OSO what's up, and go for the ten week course next summer, if and when they have air contracts. If they don't have many, it can't hurt to start the process early.