• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a place in Naval Aviation, with a pretty significant caveat.

Pariel

A little background: I'm a sophomore studying aerospace engineering, and I realized this semester that I only chose to study planes because I want to fly them. So, I started checking out how I could fly. I'd really like to do the Marines' Platoon Leaders Course the summer after my junior year and then have the choice to go military or civilian.

I guess before I go farther I should explain why:

1) I've always wanted to be in the military. If you walk into my room, it's full of books about warfare. I probably would have enlisted in the Marines out of high school, except I know my mom would have been absolutely crushed if I didn't go to college.

2) I've been dating a girl for almost three years (little over 2.75). I don't honestly know how it'd go if we basically couldn't see each other for a summer, or for a couple months during flight training. I'm not sure finding out would be a bad thing.

However, the bigger problem standing in between me and flying is that I have mild color-blindness. I have 20/40 vision in my left eye (which developed when I was in high school, my right eye is 20/20), however it is correctable. I'm going to get these checked out before this summer so when I apply to PLC in the fall I can be sure of my status, and hopefully find out I can pass either a PIP or FALANT test.

What ways I can serve in the aviation community if I can't fly? I found a few, I was hoping you guys could add to my list.

Also, do any of you have experience with color-impaired applicants for Naval Aviation? I've heard people study the Ishihara plates for FAA physicals so they can fly, but I figure cheating my way in isn't the best method if other pilots have to depend on my abilities. Also, I can probably pass the FAA test, as it only requires 50% of the plates to be correct, and I generally get between 2/3 and 3/4 correct.

Aircraft maintenance officer -- I really enjoy working with my hands. I don't know if it would just make me angry that I couldn't fly though.
Pararescue jumper -- I'm interested in emergency medicine in general, but I don't know what their color-vision requirements are, and I don't know if there's some way to be an officer. In terms of career moves, I don't think I would like to enlist at this point, given that I'm paying close to $200,000 for my college degree.
Army aviation -- I hope I'm not committing a cardinal sin here, but according to what I've found, they allow 5 (instead of 2) missed plates on the PIP test, which I think might actually be possible.
Private pilots license -- Yeah, this one doesn't count. If this is all I can get, I'll take it, but I won't be happy about it.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Aircraft maintenance officer -- I really enjoy working with my hands. I don't know if it would just make me angry that I couldn't fly though.

If by working with your hands you mean handling paperwork, then you'll love it. In all seriousness, I settled on this route after my -9.00 diopters got me rejected from NFO, and yes it was frustrating to work around people doing the job you wanted to do while sometimes taking it for granted and bitching about it. Needless to say, it was a poor choice for me.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
You won't be happy to get your PPL? Are you sure you even want to learn to fly?

Whoa...relax! He's saying that he wants to fly for a living....not just on an occasional basis. He'd take the PPL if that was all he could get - but it's not what he wants.

81montedriver

pilot
I suggest you do a little more research about Aviation related MOS's. This link can get you started on the right foot: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerj3/a/officerjobsmenu.htm

Now for the rest of your suggestions. As mentioned earlier being an AMO, you would be in a mostly supervisory role. On the other hand you are still attached to a squadron, you would get deployed with them and you would ultimately be serving the Marine Corps mission.

If you are looking to get your college paid for, then the Marine Corps isn't for you. I believe they offer small bonuses for enlisted, but guess what kind of a bonus newly commissioned officers get? NOTHING. There was a year long window or so where the Marine Corps was expanding and offered to repay college tuition, but that incentive is long gone. Now if this bonus idea does interest you, other services do offer very nice signing bonuses, but I will leave that research for you. Good luck!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
A little background: I'm a sophomore studying aerospace engineering, and I realized this semester that I only chose to study planes because I want to fly them. So, I started checking out how I could fly. I'd really like to do the Marines' Platoon Leaders Course the summer after my junior year and then have the choice to go military or civilian.

I guess before I go farther I should explain why:

1) I've always wanted to be in the military. If you walk into my room, it's full of books about warfare. I probably would have enlisted in the Marines out of high school, except I know my mom would have been absolutely crushed if I didn't go to college.

2) I've been dating a girl for almost three years (little over 2.75). I don't honestly know how it'd go if we basically couldn't see each other for a summer, or for a couple months during flight training. I'm not sure finding out would be a bad thing.

However, the bigger problem standing in between me and flying is that I have mild color-blindness. I have 20/40 vision in my left eye (which developed when I was in high school, my right eye is 20/20), however it is correctable. I'm going to get these checked out before this summer so when I apply to PLC in the fall I can be sure of my status, and hopefully find out I can pass either a PIP or FALANT test.

What ways I can serve in the aviation community if I can't fly? I found a few, I was hoping you guys could add to my list.

Also, do any of you have experience with color-impaired applicants for Naval Aviation? I've heard people study the Ishihara plates for FAA physicals so they can fly, but I figure cheating my way in isn't the best method if other pilots have to depend on my abilities. Also, I can probably pass the FAA test, as it only requires 50% of the plates to be correct, and I generally get between 2/3 and 3/4 correct.

Pararescue jumper -- I'm interested in emergency medicine in general, but I don't know what their color-vision requirements are, and I don't know if there's some way to be an officer. In terms of career moves, I don't think I would like to enlist at this point, given that I'm paying close to $200,000 for my college degree.
Army aviation -- I hope I'm not committing a cardinal sin here, but according to what I've found, they allow 5 (instead of 2) missed plates on the PIP test, which I think might actually be possible.
Private pilots license -- Yeah, this one doesn't count. If this is all I can get, I'll take it, but I won't be happy about it.

What about NFO? I think they have the same requirements as pilot but if you do pass your test as a pilot but don't get selected you could possibly get picked up as a flight officer. You mentioned an enlisted route but would prefer not to do it. If you change your mind then I would look into aircrew which the Marines, Air Force, and Navy all have. I know that if you go officer in Army aviation you don't fly as much as you would probably like as they preform jobs similar to AMO or AMDO. Thus you would want to go into the warrant officer program which you don't even need a college degree to get accepted.

Pariel

What about NFO? I think they have the same requirements as pilot but if you do pass your test as a pilot but don't get selected you could possibly get picked up as a flight officer. You mentioned an enlisted route but would prefer not to do it. If you change your mind then I would look into aircrew which the Marines, Air Force, and Navy all have. I know that if you go officer in Army aviation you don't fly as much as you would probably like as they preform jobs similar to AMO or AMDO. Thus you would want to go into the warrant officer program which you don't even need a college degree to get accepted.

As far as I can tell, the NFO color-vision requirements are the same (Class 1)

I'll have to do so more digging on the

I suggest you do a little more research about Aviation related MOS's. This link can get you started on the right foot: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerj3/a/officerjobsmenu.htm

Thanks, that's a pretty useful link

Now for the rest of your suggestions. As mentioned earlier being an AMO, you would be in a mostly supervisory role. On the other hand you are still attached to a squadron, you would get deployed with them and you would ultimately be serving the Marine Corps mission.

If you are looking to get your college paid for, then the Marine Corps isn't for you. I believe they offer small bonuses for enlisted, but guess what kind of a bonus newly commissioned officers get? NOTHING. There was a year long window or so where the Marine Corps was expanding and offered to repay college tuition, but that incentive is long gone. Now if this bonus idea does interest you, other services do offer very nice signing bonuses, but I will leave that research for you. Good luck!

My college is completely paid for, I just meant that I don't want to waste the four years and the money I spent getting a degree by enlisting at this point. Part of the reason Naval Aviation appeals to me is that no matter where I end up career wise after my eight years of active duty, I'll have a lot of job opportunities open to me. Enlisting would be more like taking a break from pursuing a career, at this point.

Whoa...relax! He's saying that he wants to fly for a living....not just on an occasional basis. He'd take the PPL if that was all he could get - but it's not what he wants.

That is indeed what I meant.

I just looked at the color-vision requirements again, and it does say that Class II personnel can get waived. So, I'll ask my ORO about that.

Thanks to all for you help.

jtmedli

pilot
If you tell people that you've been dating a girl for a little over 2.75 years, I think you might make a better NFO.

I don't know, he did say this...

:thumbup_1

While obviously you don't take someone's opinion on a forum to heart about relationships, BUT there is a WIDE world of women out there... I couldn't imagine marrying my first girlfriend.

OP, you have a great attitude and I really hope you can find a way to become a pilot. Obviously, don't worry about the 20/40. I believe that the Navy has the hardest requirements and even then, they allow you to have 20/40 in one eye that is correctable to 20/20 as long as the other eye is 20/20 uncorrected.

Again, best of luck!

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
As long as you can pass the FALANT test for color vision, you're good to go. I've never passed the little dot test and haven't had to get any waivers.

Pariel

Thanks Itedge46, that's extremely helpful information coming from someone with wings. I've also begun looking at the NFO route, am I correct in believing that NFOs are Class II and can get a waiver if necessary?

Looks like I will be seeing an OSO between now and May while I'm still in Boston, and taking the FALANT and a PIP test when I return to New Jersey in May.

Thanks again to all of you, you guys are a great resource, and I will be back with more questions!

kito

From what I know (and I know nothing, I just happen to be in a similar boat, so I've done a lot of google-fu), NFOs are subject to the same class I physical that pilots are, which means if you can't pass the FALANT, there will be no waivers. This site seems to agree: http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/a/pilotvision.htm

But a lot of people have mentioned on these boards that they had trouble with the PIP tests but managed the FALANT just fine. So I guess you should just take it and then you'll know.

Good luck, and do tell us if you find any other great aviation opportunities for those of us with less-than-perfect color vision. Damn eyes :icon_rage.

Pariel

Just an update (life goes fast, apparently):

I have a physical next week, so hopefully I'll be able to pass one of the color vision tests.

I'm hoping to make it into the Air slot my OSO has for the second 6-week course this summer.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.