• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
I don't remember any of the DI's at OCS caring about whether the women made mens scores or not, in fact, I thought they were all pretty understanding about the whole thing, considering they're DI's. Being a PT stud is good at OCS if you can manage it, but I wouldn't in any way say it's necessary. Even if you role, if you keep your head down, you can easily get through without maxing anything, as long as you pass, and if you work hard through OCS, you'll be able to pass all the PT stuff. From my experience, being in the middle of the pack is the best place to be. If you can get through OCS without your DI knowing your name, as one guy in my class did, that's perfect. There are no points afterwards for doing well in OCS, and no one cares, except DI's, and you'll never see them again anyway.

As far as having enlisted family members, my class had the daughter of a former MCPON, and she got her first salute from him, and we had another guy who's brother was still in the Academy, and had to salute him as well, so I wouldn't really worry about it too much. If you become an officer in any branch of the military, enlisted from the other services are supposed to salute.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I don't remember any of the DI's at OCS caring about whether the women made mens scores or not, in fact, I thought they were all pretty understanding about the whole thing, considering they're DI's. ....
All of them up there wanted male scores for everyone but didn't demand it. The closer they could come, the easier their life was.

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
Hmm, that must be really new, I never heard any of that when I was there, that was two years ago though, damn, it's already two years? I'm getting old...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To give you one less thing to get yelled at about when you get there, "sirs" is not a word. "Ma'ams" is not a word. The plural of "sir" is "gentlemen," and the plural of "ma'am" is "ladies."

WIDGET

Being a PT stud is good at OCS if you can manage it, but I wouldn't in any way say it's necessary. Even if you role, if you keep your head down, you can easily get through without maxing anything, as long as you pass, and if you work hard through OCS, you'll be able to pass all the PT stuff. From my experience, being in the middle of the pack is the best place to be.

that's the first i've ever heard someone say that being a PT stud isn't all that important. i think OCS is a heck of a lot easier if you max out the tests. it seems like the DI's "like" you a bit more... or maybe hate you less is better terminology. i remember being a candio and hearing the DI's brag about their best candidates. if they like you, i think you have a better chance of passing RLP.

E2Cougar

NFO
None
that's the first i've ever heard someone say that being a PT stud isn't all that important. i think OCS is a heck of a lot easier if you max out the tests. it seems like the DI's "like" you a bit more... or maybe hate you less is better terminology. i remember being a candio and hearing the DI's brag about their best candidates. if they like you, i think you have a better chance of passing RLP.

First off, the best way to increase your chances of passing RLP are to be ready for it. I saw way too many candidates think that it was a formalized method of hazing and that they could get by solely with their ability to PT for the duration of the inspection. If your locker and knowledge are solid, you will pass.

Second off, being a PT stud isn't all that important. Being physically fit is. There is a dramatic difference.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
First off, the best way to increase your chances of passing RLP are to be ready for it. I saw way too many candidates think that it was a formalized method of hazing and that they could get by solely with their ability to PT for the duration of the inspection. If your locker and knowledge are solid, you will pass.

Second off, being a PT stud isn't all that important. Being physically fit is. There is a dramatic difference.

Well.... if your locker and knowledge are solid AND your class team wants you to pass, you will pass. If they don't think you're ready to move on, you will fail. It's that simple. If your shit ISN'T right, then you won't pass anyway. But if your shit is right and they don't like you, you won't pass. They can ALWAYS find hits.

RLP is purely subjective (the locker and knowledge are certainly required, but mostly a dog and pony show).

BELIEVE it.

navrn

Hellooooo nurse!
I know that it doesn't technically count as a bonus per se, but once you commission you are eligible for USAA's career starter loan. It's a $25,000 loan at a 2% rate. You only qualify for it within 12 months of your commisioning date. I know a lot of people that took that and stuck the money in a high yield savings or CD, others that bought their ensign-mobile. :)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I know that it doesn't technically count as a bonus per se, but once you commission you are eligible for USAA's career starter loan. It's a $25,000 loan at a 2% rate.

Or up to 18 months before you commission. That's when I got mine.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well.... if your locker and knowledge are solid AND your class team wants you to pass, you will pass. If they don't think you're ready to move on, you will fail. It's that simple. If your shit ISN'T right, then you won't pass anyway. But if your shit is right and they don't like you, you won't pass. They can ALWAYS find hits.

RLP is purely subjective (the locker and knowledge are certainly required, but mostly a dog and pony show).

BELIEVE it.

I think RLP is more objective than people tend to think it is. Of course there is a subjective component that can roll the bottom percentile and pass the top percentile no matter what, but there's a large chunk of people in the middle who will pass or fail on their own merits.

Nikki2184

You are asking very different questions. First, what service do you want to enter, then how is the process for females at OCS. As for the service, that depends on you entirely. Believe it or not, it is your job not your recruiter's to get you into the service. If you want an INTEL billet, you're gonna have to fight for it. Other than pilot, special forces and public affairs, it's one of the hardest to get into, in most services. As for being a female at OCS, it depends part on your DI, part on your classmates and MOSTLY on YOURSELF. Don't expect special treatment, but know you are entitled to fairness. Be as physically fit and MENTALLY prepared as possible. The biggest mistake you can make going to OCS is not having 110% commitment. If you just would like a commission and you're not DYING for a commission, it's gonna be rough.

lyricsavvy

SWO, ENG-R- KILL!
Thanks, one and all!

Sorry for not having responded to many inquiries until just now, but I've been spending most of my "free time" either running or studying for the ASTBs.

The reason why I mentioned that I am a female seeking commission as a Naval Officer was that, although I've been told by DIs that women and men are seen and treated as "warriors", negating the gender issue, I still believe that women have to focus on training and getting through the physical demands for OCS in quite a different way than men do. I, for one, have held girls over my head during cheerleading, but NEVER was able to do full push-ups. I'm really struggling with my upper-body strength (unlike the natural ability for most men) and therefore am working hard just to pass the PRT requirements. This strength training takes time to develop...and right now, it looks like my PRTs will have to take place in less than four weeks from now, if I am to try and make it to OCS before the beginning of next year.
I've been running for about a month, now, and only just been able to run the entire 1.5 miles in less than 18 min. I believe "excellent" timing is 13:00 for the 1.5 miles, so I've got three more weeks to hit that mark. I am ABSOLUTELY NOT in shape for OCS...yet...prob. not even in that great of shape for the PRT, but am determined to get that commission (I guess everyone has their motivations...I, like Richard Gere's character in "An Officer and a Gentleman" feel I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by a Commission as a Naval Officer. My BA has afforded me little else other than this opportunity--despite the fact I hold a published thesis and fantastic resume.)

On the plus side, UNLIKE many of the men I know, I am VERY flexible and find curl-ups to be the LEAST of my worries. I also have little problem doing the leg-lifts common on the DI list o' physical torture. I have also worked very hard throughout my college years (even working a third-shift remodeling a Super Wal-Mart one summer, to pay for my education) and have suffered through some pretty difficult challenges...paving my way towards a bit more clarity, drive and fortitude when dealing with others. You see, I WANT to "drink the coolaid", and am really focused on LEARNING from my DI's. Humility is recognition of your own weaknesses and the willingness to allow others to help you work on them. I already view my future DI's like that... Like a friend (and Naval Intel Officer) put it, "It’s funny to see how guys react to being yelled at, at first: most of them, you can tell, just want to punch the DI or the Chief who’s yelling at them. Women, on the other hand, as you will see, might have less physical prowess than their classmates, but they usually have WAY more stamina."

So, when I put it out there that I am a woman looking for others to share their insight, it was not to insult the men on this forum (or to dissuade them from sharing their experiences), but rather to do what I felt I needed to in order to "research" OCS and it's challenges for my sex.

For those interested, I received a note from an Intel Officer (not connected with this forum) who gave some GREAT advice as a woman entering OCS and its challenges. If you'd like to read it, I'll be happy to share.
I'm counting down, three weeks from today, ASTBs and Medical Exam!
Thanks for the help, all!

Nemenik

potential.
Yeah, intel is tough to get into. I applied for Intel, SWO, and supply but didn't get into Intel. Sorry hijack the thread a little, but does anyone know how likely or how hard it is to transfer over to a different community after you're an ENS? Or would you have to wait a few years? Thanks.