• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Look What I Found

Redux

Good story Bevo, that also says something for both shot placement AND the 30-06, in many more cases than not a magnum is NOT required. Garand + 06 = a good BJ.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
My father deer hunts with his M-1. The last time we were at deer camp (this was a hunt sponsored on one of the south Texas ranches by an oil company), a bunch of the guys were making fun of him for having such an old rifle and thought it was stupid to hunt without a scope. Just at day-break, they were in the back of the truck on the way to their stands, and a big 12 point is walking through a clearing. The ranch hand who is driving the truck just stops and points and everyone in the back starts to scramble to get their rifles ready and my dad just stands up, and drops that big buck in it's tracks.

Nobody made fun of his rifle after that.

Good man. I find using ironsights on the M-1 to be easier for me than using scoped rifles. Especially for large targets like that.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
What type of gun is it?

We have a lot of work to do.

Just dont let A4s catch you posting something like that... You thought Bevo was direct....

BTW very nice rifle. I sincerely hope someone from AW grabs up the other one.

fatathaland

Oh, a beaut indeed! I know people who'd take an M1 over an M16. Great find man. Now you just need to get hold of a bayonet! :eyebrows_

Redux

BTW very nice rifle. I sincerely hope someone from AW grabs up the other one.

That's why I figured Id mention he has another, lots of folks out his way so why not? He also has several 03 Springfields but he isn't parting with them at this point.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
A nice rifle! A buddy of mine just bought a 1944 vintage M1 in very good condition. He ran the serial numbers from the gun store on the internet to see if any of theirs were from the war years.

Renegade One

None
...leaves almost 1/4" of Greek bullet sticking out.

Now I've drunk more beer and pissed more blood and shot more rounds through a Garand than most of you numb-nuts put together (how do you like me so far? :icon_tong), but I admit to not knowing what you mean by the above.

I'll take my education like a man...clue me in.

V/R, Spike

By the way, it IS a good looking piece...

Redux

Now I've drunk more beer and pissed more blood and shot more rounds through a Garand than most of you numb-nuts put together (how do you like me so far? :icon_tong), but I admit to not knowing what you mean by the above.

I'll take my education like a man...clue me in.

V/R, Spike

By the way, it IS a good looking piece...

Yeah but can you shit on the ceiling?

OK, barrel bore is critical to say the least. They make gauges to measure both muzzle wear and throat erosion but I'm too poor to own them. A quick test is to take a 30 cal bullet and put it in the muzzle point first and see how much bullet you have before it hits the case. A worn out barrel will eat the entire bullet and renders the rifle useless because of it's inaccuracy. This usually happens because early cleaning rods were steel and GI's rammed them in like they were jerking off wearing out the barrel.

Mine is major league TIGHT, about 1/4 inch in reserve which is great. In fact it is about the same as my hunting rifles which have few rounds put through them, maybe a couple hundred at most. Best I can tell the barrel is like new specs from what I can see using primitive testing techniques.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah but can you shit on the ceiling?

OK, barrel bore is critical to say the least. They make gauges to measure both muzzle wear and throat erosion but I'm too poor to own them. A quick test is to take a 30 cal bullet and put it in the muzzle point first and see how much bullet you have before it hits the case. A worn out barrel will eat the entire bullet and renders the rifle useless because of it's inaccuracy. This usually happens because early cleaning rods were steel and GI's rammed them in like they were jerking off wearing out the barrel.

Mine is major league TIGHT, about 1/4 inch in reserve which is great. In fact it is about the same as my hunting rifles which have few rounds put through them, maybe a couple hundred at most. Best I can tell the barrel is like new specs from what I can see using primitive testing techniques.

That's pretty ingenious!