• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Look at what showed up in the mail today

jmcquate

Contributor
002.JPG
OPM ass-clowns..........................I guarantee, not one of the hacks who let this happen will be fired.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Identity theft protection for 18 months?

LOL. I didn't know this was perishable information. Was I supposed to be renewing my SSN every 18 months?

Looks like they care as much about preventing identity theft now that the info is in the wild as they did about protecting the info in the first place.

Hilarious.

If you like your PII you can keep your PII.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I kept thinking to myself while filling out my last SF-86, "Why the f*** do they have us putting all this info on an unclass, no-credentials-required website?"

I hate it, but the way I see it is that all my info is out there anyways. I'm hoping the large amount of personal info of everyone else will help mask it.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I hate it, but the way I see it is that all my info is out there anyways. I'm hoping the large amount of personal info of everyone else will help mask it.

I see some similarities here with the ISIS "hit list" and DoD's role there. The overwhelming majority of info and photos used by ISIS on their "hit list" were obtained through open source DoD press releases and social media. We, the rank and file, are told over and over to be careful with what we put online. We're told over and over to be careful about how we protect our personal information. In both cases, Big Gubbmint demonstrated that what's good for us, is not necessarily good for them.

I'm more than happy to follow good advice - I don't post selfies from yesterday's pre-flight walkaround. Why does C5F think it's ok to post the very same picture with my name, squadron, and hometown? I'm more than happy to follow any number of IA "best practices" - Why does USG/DOD think it's exempt?

The funniest/saddest part of the OP's letter is the part about being automatically enrolled in identity theft protection program. So let me get this right... You've demonstrated an inability to safegaurd my personal info (it wasn't even encrypted for F's sake), but now you're going to pass it off to a third, maybe even fourth, party for more "safe keeping". GFY.

It's going to get very interesting if this story gets much more traction in the mainstream media. Imagine your civilian best friend's reaction the next time you call him to see if you can list him on your SF-86...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
OPM ass-clowns..........................I guarantee, not one of the hacks who let this happen will be fired.
Even worse...

Corrective action: All DoD servicemembers must now complete an additional NKO course on protecting PII. To appeal to millenials, this NKO will have a bloated GUI and cute games/points system to earn trophies at an expense of taking 5 minutes to load each section on an NMCI computer.

jmcquate

Contributor
So who would you recommend be fired? It isn't like some idiot left the files at the food court or sold them on Craig's List. Someone went looking for this info.
The shit was un-encrypted...........so ya, it was left on a table in a virtual food court. The scope of this is huge. I am no longer a Federal employee, but I've been vetted for clearances that have involved quite a bit more than filling out an SF-86 and some flunky in a cheap suit talking to my neighbors. I just hope that some of the 3 letters compartmentalized that stuff and didn't let the jackasses at Foggy Bottom oversee it.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It's like I can see the future...

At least the DoD is self-aware about the way it does business regarding the topic.

Attachments

• opsec screenshot.jpg
    opsec screenshot.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 27

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you know that the details of your background investigation, including what your references said to the investigator, are FOIA-able?

jmcquate

Contributor
Brett, come one........nothing or everything is "FOIA-able". It all depends on the marching orders that where given to counsel. This has nothing to do with FOIA. It was a data breach.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
From FOIA.gov...

What is FOIA?
Since 1967, the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) has provided the public the right to request access to records from any federal agency. It is often described as the law that keeps citizens in the know about their government. Federal agencies are required to disclose any information requested under the FOIA unless it falls under one of nine exemptions which protect interests such as personal privacy, national security, and law enforcement.

Releasing a statement from a past neighbor who is pissed that your dog used to poop in his garden is not the same as leaking SSNs, birthdays, and your address for the last 10 years.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, come one........nothing or everything is "FOIA-able". It all depends on the marching orders that where given to counsel. This has nothing to do with FOIA. It was a data breach.
I'm aware that this was a data breach. Just a reminder to those in public service that their privacy may not be what they think it is. As an aside (and the reason I know this) is that we had to provide certain clearance investigation details to the USAF to participate in one of their exercises. The only way to do this was to FOIA the investigations of the entire squadron, then submit that to the USAF. Talk about a backward way of doing business. On the plus side, I got to know what all my neighbors thought of me. :)