• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Long Time No Talk - Lookin For Updated Info

DairyCreamer

Hi guys,

Been a while eh?

I'm considering putting in one last package before I time out age-wise. I've re-discovered the desire to become a Naval Officer after a hiaitus, thanks to some significantly smelly BS handed to me by a previous officer recruiter at NRD Denver.

Itt'l be about 20 mins before I can call up there myself, so I figured I'd kill a little time asking the questions I'm going to ask them here.

1.) I turn 27 in September. According to http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/milpers/1542-010.htm it would seem I can apply prior to my 27th birthday. Am I screwed because of my age?

2.) What are the prospect numbers right now for SNA and NFO? When I turned in my first two pakages, it basically seemed you needed to be sleeping with an Admiral's daughter, with his express, written permission, in order to be accepted in to either program through OCS.

3.) I assume OCS is still a Delayed Entry Program entity, and you get orders to report some time in the future. Assuming #1 an #2 above are non-factors, and I am selected (yes, a bit of a leap here), how long do most people wait for an OCS class date, and can it be modified at the request of the applicant?

4.) Do NRD offices purge records after any specific timeframe? It's been a while since my last go at this, and I have a significant number of letters of recommendation in my file that I would like access to for this next application.

5.) Lastly... seeing as it's been a long time since I last applied, will that be looked at negativly by a selection board? I was ready to turn in round #3 in 2004 (2nd app was in '03), but I didn't because of some "interesting" ideas given to me by an officer recruiter that stunk to high heaven of not wanting my best interest, but just to get me aboard to meet their quotas.

I appreciate any insight. Worst case, I'll reply to myself with what I find out from the officer recruiters.

~Nate

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Unless you have waiverable prior enlisted service you must commission before turning 27. I do not think you would be able to get an application together, get accepted and commission in time (a small percentage of OC's in OCS actually graduate in 12 weeks). Does this mean there is no chance? No. I just think it would take a miracle to make it in time.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
This is from the instruction.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/milpers/1542-010.htm

a. Pilot applicants must not have passed their 27th birthday at the time of application. For applicants with prior active duty military service, waivers may be granted on a month‑for-month basis up to 24 months for active duty served prior to their 27th birthday, to maximum age of 29.

b. Naval flight officer applicants must not have passed their 27th birthday at the time of application. For applicants with prior active duty military service, waivers may be granted on a month-for-month basis up to 48 months for active duty served prior to their 27th birthday, to maximum age of 31.

Read the comments in the thread below made by wink.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140907&page=2

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
This is from the instruction.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/milpers/1542-010.htm

a. Pilot applicants must not have passed their 27th birthday at the time of application. For applicants with prior active duty military service, waivers may be granted on a month‑for-month basis up to 24 months for active duty served prior to their 27th birthday, to maximum age of 29.

b. Naval flight officer applicants must not have passed their 27th birthday at the time of application. For applicants with prior active duty military service, waivers may be granted on a month-for-month basis up to 48 months for active duty served prior to their 27th birthday, to maximum age of 31.

Read the comments in the thread below made by wink.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140907&page=2

Hmm. So the bupers says 27 at the time of application, yet they also say:
c. Applicants older than 27 at commissioning are required to submit a formal waiver request to NAVPERSCOM (PERS-435A).

And from reading Wink's comments on the thread you posted, he says:

...If he is a non prior OCS guy it is 27 by date of commission...

So now I'm still confused. It looks like the age 30 post is indeed bad gouge, but now, is it 27 by time of application or time of commission?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
This:
c. Applicants older than 27 at commissioning are required to submit a formal waiver request to NAVPERSCOM (PERS-435A).

applies to the last sentences in a. and b. for "prior active duty military service". I don't know what the current age is for civilians going to OCS. I only know what the instruction says.