• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lodging at Newport the night before OCS

Squall

Go Navy, Go Big Red
Hey all. Just got Final selected for April 19th. I am flying up the night before, and my recruiter said I should set up lodging at the "bachelor's quarters" or something like that. I've read a couple of things about a Navy lodge too, but I don't know if these are the same thing, or if there is something else I'm missing, or if I should just splurge a few bucks and stay in a hotel. Search function didn't turn up any specifics. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do the night of the 18th/19th?

Reactions: m26

Casual

Jammin'
None
You should be able to stay in the Combined Bachelors' Quarters up there, assuming there are rooms available. They usually try to keep the place less than full for people like you. It's about $20/night, so I'd stay there if able. Navy Lodge is about 70/night...still cheaper than the Best Western or whatever's outside the main gate. I think that place was over 100/night.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where did the BOQ go?

Hey all. Just got Final selected for April 19th. I am flying up the night before, and my recruiter said I should set up lodging at the "bachelor's quarters" or something like that.

The old school term is BOQ (Bachelor Officer's Quarters). Some people simply refer to it as the "Q" after Navy Installations combined the admin/front desk of Officer and Enlisted Quarters. It is now run by Navy Gateway Inns and Suites so searching on bachelor quaters will probably get you nowhere. If you check their website, here is the "Q" at Newport your recruiter is talking about.

I've read a couple of things about a Navy lodge too, but I don't know if these are the same thing, or if there is something else I'm missing, or if I should just splurge a few bucks and stay in a hotel. Search function didn't turn up any specifics. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do the night of the 18th/19th?

Navy Lodge is an entirely different lodging option. Link has their website and Toll-free number. Most, but not all Navy installations have a Navy Lodge that is more expensive than the "Q", but certainly an option when Q is full.

Note: Marine Corps has it's own Inn system as well that feature cottages and other recreational facilities.

Squall

Go Navy, Go Big Red
Thanks guys! That's exactly what I was looking for.

I think I'll call it the BOQ because "the Q" is the local gay bar in Lincoln. :icon_tong
Surely wouldn't want to get THAT confused.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
meet some other classmates and stay out in town. Otherwise, show up 2nd floor Nimitz Hall and ask for your Class DI. Have fun!

Tom

pilot
Contributor
If I remember correctly the CBQ at Newport is a combination of many buildings. Sure, the BOQ and BEQ is combined, but it appeared to just be a BOQ and BEQ with one front office. They had multiple buildings scattered throughout the base. I can imagine a higher rank rates a nicer room. Isn't a CBQ really just a BOQ and BEQ with a joint front office? Krock still has a BOQ and BEQ, but this place is ancient (as well as the Q's).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some bases, the BOQ's and BEQ's are still separate, and you're right, the "CBQ" is just a joint front desk for the two. Some newer Q's combine them for E-7+ and it's really more "Bachelor Khaki Quarters". Some will extend that down to E-6 or even E-5, depending on demand. I think it really depends on demand for the rooms; places like P'cola or Norfolk, that have a lot of transient Officer students and/or Officer Reservists, seem to keep the Other Ranks in their own digs (mostly, I'd guess, so that the junior guys don't get squeezed out and have to stay out in town on a smaller paycheck).

I have no idea how or when that changed, or even if it's really Navy-wide policy or just whatever individual bases do to keep the rooms filled. I do know that I've stayed in BOQ's in Coronado, Point Mugu, Jax and Pearl Harbor and seen Chiefs and First Class staying in rooms just down the hall from me.

Back to the OP's question: whenever possible and for the duration of your Naval career, stay out in town. The ONLY place I've ever been where the Q was preferable to In Town was Brunswick, ME, for SERE. They sent you to this bizarre shithole of a fleabag, and the Q rooms were actually pretty nice.