• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Locked threads

Locked threads?

• Total voters

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Use this everytime you lock a thread.

Die%20thread.jpg

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Crowbar said:
Plus, if something ends up locked and somebody has a BURNING question or comment to add, mods can unlock it.
This sounds like a good idea, but there needs to be some sort of general instruction on who to PM/email to get certain threads unlocked. Just so that the timid new guy/gal knows how to go about doing it the correct way without having to start an entirely new thread.

Here's another idea while we are at it... how about addink a spel chek fur giys like me?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
El Cid said:
This sounds like a good idea, but there needs to be some sort of general instruction on who to PM/email to get certain threads unlocked. Just so that the timid new guy/gal knows how to go about doing it the correct way without having to start an entirely new thread.

PM the mod of that forum. Just cause a Super Mod locks it, doesn't mean the mod of the forum can't unlock it.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Seems like it would be less counterproductive to delete the dead-end threads as they arise, rather than blanket all threads posted before a certain date. We have new members coming and going frequently(some of which possess relevent knowledge) that may be able to offer fresh insight on a topic that lost interest due to lack of experience/knowledge. Now, I can see a topic getting completely out of hand (40+ posts or branching off into sub-topics) and needing to start a "Part 2", but to completely lock the thread would create excess threads, effectively discouraging people from running searches due to the Google sized results!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jboomer, understand where you are coming from, thought alot about it, but finally decidedt that I didn't want 4-5 year old threads being resurrected. There are very few ppl that have been on the forum the ENTIRE time since its creation, and by the nature of the beast, we have a cyclical (yearly) wave of ppl come through, some stay, some post and leave. Also, information does change, and when updates to NSS or the syllabus/current selection in Primary, I think it is more relevant for someone to start a new thread. Nothing is stopping them posting, "hey, saw this thread (insert url)" and was thinking this. I have referenced other threads, heck even individual posts.

I listened to a lot of opinions, pms, and emails on this issue, even took a poll. I changed my initial decsion on this from 30 to 90 days based off of the feedback I got.

Anyways, just giving ya some background, and trying to make this a more "current" site, than one that relies on its old posts and "resurrection".

- dipstick out :D

KBayDog

webmaster said:
I think it is more relevant for someone to start a new thread.

Just as long as the mods don't say, "Do a search" and then lock the thread anyway, because they have been here since the beginning of AW and don't want to entertain the same questions over and over.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Kbay, sigh, you are right. I guess I just see two sides to it. The person that posts, "hey, I have read all over, (here, here and here), or it said this, but was wondering if this applied ... " Think someone hit it well in another thread, basically calling it "being a self starter". I know I have been guilty of having a short fuse lately (integer, anyone?) lately, but there are definitely better ways for some of us "senior" (whatever that means, since I still think I have lots to learn) bubbas to cut more slack, as mentioned in "ANOTHER" thread, A4s and others basically said "let's do what we can to help the new guy out"...

Bottom line, like Kbay said (man, can't wait to get back there btw), if you want to be sarcastic "do a search", at least have the class to do the damn search yourself and post the links for the new guy/gal.

The website is continuing to change and evolve, we now have more ppl farther along in their careers/life, than previously. Plus others that have surfed on this site since they were college, just started posting here, and are done with training and out in the fleet. Think we should all remember (me included!) what it is like to first come to this site, and not have a clue how to navigate the forum and/or all the site history.

As a couple of sharp mods with waayy too much time on their hands (should be out playing golf or something!) have already started, I think a FAQ, or top questions/answers should/needs to be put together. Also a blurb on posting dos and donts "how to use search, dont post mishaps, OPSEC, dont **** where you eat (ie bad mouth a community you are going on cruise with)... and the list goes on"...

Getting late here in the land of the rising sun, some rambling thoughts from your friendly neighborhood deskbound aviator...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Think they might let him fly with Jessica Biel with those kind of scores?

stealth250.jpg
Per the other thread, those Flt suits look gay because they have the zippers jacked up Air Force style, and have the God damned sleeves rolled down all the way.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Per the other thread, those Flt suits look gay ....

And the lower harness looks awfully "snug" to be doing a lot of strutting your stuff around the flight deck after blowing up some miscreants ...... chafing, instead of chaff, perhaps ??? Ouch !!!

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Jessica Biehl is all I need to survive. Give me her, and a keg of Yueng (that she can tote around for me), and i'll have the energy and motivation to evade capture and survive for months.

In any event..... I am going to be the oddball, and go for a no thread locking policy. I'll take my fair share of the blame for hijacking and subsequently grounding a number of threads (that were eventually locked).

However, I would prefer less threads that were longer and resurrected about the same subject, rather than 5,000 threads about the exact same thing. With that being said, some threads need to die, and should remain locked for all eternity.