• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Local Phone Service (& Shameless Plug)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Make sure your broadband internet access is RELIABLE. If you have frequent outages and disconnects, you're gonna be screwing yourself.

And if you're paying $40/month for basic phone service, you need to talk to your provider. You don't need caller ID, voice mail, etc etc etc.

helo_wifey

Anyone know what the rates are like for calling overseas with those companies? and just wondering about the reliability (knowing that you have a good connection to begin with)? (yeah, i know i could just go look it up, but that wouldn't give you studs a chance to answer now would it?)

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
And if you're paying $40/month for basic phone service, you need to talk to your provider. You don't need caller ID, voice mail, etc etc etc.

The $40 a month comes from the instrallation fees that they make you pay for the first 3 months or so...(ie if you have to move again you are just wasting money)

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
The $40 a month comes from the instrallation fees that they make you pay for the first 3 months or so..
I think Fly was referring to the "basic" phone package companies like Verizon offer. Their "basic" package costs like $37/month, but if you ask them, there is a stripped down package (without call-id, call-waiting, etc) for less than $10. People just assume that their "basic" package is the cheapest since its called "basic" and don't bother ask about anything cheaper.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I think Fly was referring to the "basic" phone package companies like Verizon offer. Their "basic" package costs like $37/month, but if you ask them, there is a stripped down package (without call-id, call-waiting, etc) for less than $10. People just assume that their "basic" package is the cheapest since its called "basic" and don't bother ask about anything cheaper.

That could be...still a little pissed though about having to get a local phone (took them a month to come and turn it on) and pay $48 a month for 3 months just for the processing fee then to turn it off after the 3rd month for a move...grrr...

snizo

Supply Officer
When I moved to P'cola a while ago, I thought the cheapest I could get was still $30+. I told them I wanted the most basic package right off, and they still hooked me up with enough crap for it to be $50 a month. I had to keep pestering them to get it down to the $30. They're like car salesmen. Why deal with it?

Helo_wifey - it is usually pretty cheap, and I'm pretty sure the basic rate includes canada and western europe. There is a link on the bottom left of the page from the Lingo Website that will let you look it up pretty easily.

Fly - can always forward the calls to your cell. Instant local phone number for your long distance cell ;) and it doesn't matter how reliable your internet connection is then because you aren't using it.