• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Local Phone Service (& Shameless Plug)

snizo

Supply Officer
Just a thought for all you guys on your way to API (or those already in flight school). Each command you go to is going to require you to have a local phone number. Some people might get away with skipping on this, but every now and then the command goes off on everyone who doesn't have one.

You might have seen commercials for VoIP services like Vonage. All they require is broadband internet access to work - and if you all are like me, internet and TV have priority in being set up in a new place and phone service never happens. I used a company called Lingo which is pretty similar to Vonage, but cheaper. For $20 a month, you get unlimited local and long distance calls and every possible feature you could want. Comes with Caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, etc - hell, you can even have it text message your cell phone when you get a voicemail, or forward calls to your cell phone all the time for free.

Best of all - you can change your phone number as many times as you like for free. All it takes is about 30 seconds on the web to do it and it takes effect immediately.

All in all - great for people who are moving around a lot and don't want to pay $50 for phone service you aren't going to use much.

(Now for the shameless plug). If you subscribe, you get a month free. If you get someone to refer you, then you get another 5 weeks free along with that first month. Let me know if I can help you out ;) or if you got Q's.

Anyway - good deal. I've been using it for about a year now and it saves you enough money for a coupla drinks each month while suffering through school.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
snizo said:
Each command you go to is going to require you to have a local phone number.

Thats not always the case... Save your $20/month until they make you get a local number. If they don't bring it up, don't go asking about it.

So, what do these people who refer new subscribers get? I don't think its just that warm fuzzy feeling of helping others out of the goodness of their heart. ;)

snizo

Supply Officer
Aww, don't be such a cynic, zippy.

New customers get 1 month free either way. If someone refers them, both the referee and referer get a $25 credit in addition to the 1 month free the new customer already gets. Its good for me, too, but not at the expense of the new customer. ;) It works out for both of us!

Dont bet on being able to get the service hooked up in time if they ask. A friend if mine in TW-4 was 'busted' and told "Get a local number hooked up and going by the end of the week" on a Wed evenning by the stucon officer. Apparently he was p'ed at the number of people who weren't doing what they were supposed to do. Think you could get your phone service hooked up within 2 days on that notice? Think again.

Not saying you will get called on it - just pointing out that there is a risk ;)

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
Just curious, why would the stucon officer tell you to have a local number? Also, what is a stucon officer?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Just curious, why would the stucon officer tell you to have a local number? Also, what is a stucon officer?

Student Control Officer... maybe he's pissed at you for not being able to get in contact with you in a timely manner via your other listed number.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Um, why not just get the phone hooked up when you move in? Why is it so important that you remain incommunicado? Is it really that big a deal that the squadron gets a hold of you to tell you your brief time changed?

You're not in college/ROTC anymore. Sack up and get a phone number. I've had E-3's play this game. They need to have a way to get in touch with you. Period.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Um, why not just get the phone hooked up when you move in? Why is it so important that you remain incommunicado? Is it really that big a deal that the squadron gets a hold of you to tell you your brief time changed?

You're not in college/ROTC anymore. Sack up and get a phone number. I've had E-3's play this game. They need to have a way to get in touch with you. Period.
Dev, you're getting grumpy in your old age. :icon_smil

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hehe...perhaps. Maybe it's just having to actually work a full week now.

But seriously, if you think it will keep you out of sight, think again.

EDIT for relevance.

snizo

Supply Officer
Gator - it isn't that people don't have phone numbers. These days, people seem to want to use (only) their cell phones - the ones that have the phone number (and area code) of high school / college when they got it. Usually the squadrons will just call the cell to tell you about changes (and that is fine as long as it is an ENS or JG calling). If a LT or LCDR has to call and doesn't have a local phone number for you, they might give you some **** for it even though they can still reach you. In this case, the officer responsible for student control got mad about students not having local phone numbers.

The point is - why pay $40 to install then $40 a month for a land telephone line that you don't want and won't use? Most people I know going through flight school want high speed internet and would hook that up anyway. This is just a way for them to have a pretty versatile phone line along with it that satisfies the Navy's requirements.

Something that just occurred to me - all these things need is a high speed internet connection. I should be able to hook my Lingo box up in Australia if I were there and still have a telephone number that is assigned to Corpus Christi, Texas, USA. Would be nice and cheap for family members calling you if you're overseas. Not 100% sure on this, but I know I've heard about people doing it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@snizo:

Technically, your hook up scheme should work. All it needs is an IP. As for the idea of using broadband for telephone service, that totally makes sense, and I wasn't knocking that. My issue is more w/ people using their cell phone as the sole means of communication, and then disappearing from the local area, but calling in like they're local. I have a feeling that's what the StuCon guys are uptight about.

Bear in mind, these guys get to see 100+ studs a year, so they see all kinds, from the squared away motivated junior officer to the dirt bag guy who just wanted a free education and is skating towards unemployment.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
me?....I don't use a land line anymore. Haven't used one in about 5 years. There is absolutely no need.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
me?....I don't use a land line anymore. Haven't used one in about 5 years. There is absolutely no need.
Yeah, but Steve, who calls you anyways?

I use Vonage over here in Japan, and it works like a champ. Same thing, if I went on the road, and they had broadband in the hotel, I could take the box with me, and have the same number work wherever I went... But, I can file it on my travel claim, and why do I want to be in my hotel room yappin... :D

As for the whole other issue stated here, and jumping on what Gatordev mentioned (yes, he IS getting old)... DON"T be the A-hole that avoids calls from the squadron. Suck it up, and answer it. Flight training might be one thing, getting updated brief times etc, but your bud on duty might be the one trying to track you down...

snizo

Supply Officer
D'oh! Thought this might get moved ... wasn't sure it belonged here since it isn't just a military deal.

Gator - honestly hadn't really thought of that. When I was the guy makin and receiving the calls, I never paid attention to the area code. A cell phone with area code 361 would let you appear local but not be (for CC, at least) so it couldn't have been keeping track of where people were. I never got why they cared so much. Maybe phone bills? Seems kind of funny if that is the reason...

Anyway - in no way suggesting that you ditch phone calls or pull the "I didn't get the message" bit. Just tryin to help some of the new studs out there with an idea that will keep you informed and your LT happy with the least $ & effort possible.

flynsail

pilot
I never got why they cared so much. Maybe phone bills? Seems kind of funny if that is the reason...

For the most part, it is about money. Why should a training command spend unnecessary expenses from its budget on calling a bunch of studs? As long as you have a local number, residential or cell, it does not matter. Heard this numerous times in A-Pool muster and Primary AOM's.