• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Local or Navy Adult League Hockey

Tony Muz

I'll be headed down to Pensacola (SNFO) within the year and was wondering if there was any good adult hockey in town. Has anyone played in a local league or know if there are Navy-run teams/games?

Thanks.

foampositz

livin' life
pilot
Yeh man definitely bring your gear. I played while I was in A-pool and back again when I was there for advanced. The current league is the NWFHL over at the Pensacola civic center. There website is http://www.usahockey.com/nwfhl/

They are trying to form a new league though, the Emerald Coast Hockey League but I don't know if that happened yet. They also run pick up games in Biloxi, MS and Birmingham, AL on the weekends and the guys from Pensacola usually travel together. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you the guys email who organizes that.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yeh man definitely bring your gear. I played while I was in A-pool and back again when I was there for advanced. The current league is the NWFHL over at the Pensacola civic center. There website is http://www.usahockey.com/nwfhl/

They are trying to form a new league though, the Emerald Coast Hockey League but I don't know if that happened yet. They also run pick up games in Biloxi, MS and Birmingham, AL on the weekends and the guys from Pensacola usually travel together. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you the guys email who organizes that.

Was there interest in the new league? I reffed a couple of the beer league games down here but stopped as soon as I learned there was a big political fight between the youth player's association (who also control the adult leagues) and the referees in the area.

foampositz

livin' life
pilot
Yeh there was a huge power hungry issue by those who ran it and those who just wanted to play hockey. There was a meeting this past Wednesday at the Civic Center for the ECHL. I gave some support for them because honestly the current NWFHL is a poorly organized league.

Attachments

• MEETING FLYER..pdf
    820.3 KB · Views: 9

Tony Muz

Thanks a lot, appreciate the heads up. It's good to know that hockey players don't quit even when they move to FL. I saw you're a Fordham '07 grad (foampositz), which means I may have missed playing against you by a year: I played Club at Union all four years, joining the Met League in the '07-'08 season. How's the level of play down there?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks a lot, appreciate the heads up. It's good to know that hockey players don't quit even when they move to FL. I saw you're a Fordham '07 grad (foampositz), which means I may have missed playing against you by a year: I played Club at Union all four years, joining the Met League in the '07-'08 season. How's the level of play down there?

Some guys need double runners. I kid you not. Then there are some guys who are okay.

Tony Muz

So I'm down here, and just registered for the Emerald Coast Ice Hockey League, over at the civic center.

Website: http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/?u=ECIHL&s=hockey&t=c

B-League pickup this coming Monday (11 OCT 2010) at 6:30 and 7:45 and Wednesday (same times), with a tryout for the B-league on Friday. USA Hockey membership required, no-check, co-ed, all skill levels welcome. Season is 20 guaranteed games, running October to December, with games MWF 630-745-9. Cost is $250 (pretty good if the refereed games claim is true, and with two free skates and tryout).
This is the longest I've ever gone without touching ice and can't wait to get out there. Does anybody know of a decent pro shop? They advertise that skate sharpening is available at "Performance Machining" - doesn't sound like they have a BladeMaster there.

Thanks, and seeya out there.

-Anthony

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So I'm down here, and just registered for the Emerald Coast Ice Hockey League, over at the civic center.

Website: http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/?u=ECIHL&s=hockey&t=c

B-League pickup this coming Monday (11 OCT 2010) at 6:30 and 7:45 and Wednesday (same times), with a tryout for the B-league on Friday. USA Hockey membership required, no-check, co-ed, all skill levels welcome. Season is 20 guaranteed games, running October to December, with games MWF 630-745-9. Cost is $250 (pretty good if the refereed games claim is true, and with two free skates and tryout).
This is the longest I've ever gone without touching ice and can't wait to get out there. Does anybody know of a decent pro shop? They advertise that skate sharpening is available at "Performance Machining" - doesn't sound like they have a BladeMaster there.

Thanks, and seeya out there.

-Anthony

I'm a referee in the area. The games are refereed. As far as getting your skates sharpened goes that performance machining is the only local place I know of. Haven't taken my skates there. I usually have them done by one of the teams when I'm skating a "pro" game, (SPHL is about equal to a good Jr B team back before everyone decided they could make money off of Jr hockey by having the players pay to play...) or send them back to Chicago to get profiled and what not. There is no hockey pro shop anywhere near Pensacola. If you need gear you will travel.

Tony Muz

Can you fly with false teeth? Looking forward to finally going with the halfie, but don't wanna take a stick to the chops and get rolled out of here and into surface...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Can you fly with false teeth? Looking forward to finally going with the halfie, but don't wanna take a stick to the chops and get rolled out of here and into surface...

"Hey ENS why are you med down with a broken jaw for 3 months?" "Because I wore a half shield rather than a cage..."

Seriously dude? You're willing to jeopardize your flying career for a freaking beer league hockey game? I see way more injuries to guys wearing no or only 1/2 facial protection in adult beer league hockey than anywhere else. Why? Because you will be on the ice with guys who have only been skating for a couple years. They don't know to keep their sticks down, and even if they did know, they don't have the skill to do so. Guys can't control the puck. Even in the Pro leagues there are many guys who take sticks and pucks to the face. And they supposedly know what they are doing...

Why do you need to wear a halfie? You don't have to get your helmet off quick. There aren't any press taking pictures, and Vs or NBC won't be there to televise your face into a million homes in America and 10 million in Canada. Don't be an idiot, wear full facial protection... Unless you want you have your jaw wired shut and drink your food from a blender for 6 months...

/getting down off my soapbox now...

Tony Muz

Yea, I had imagined that conversation with the commander before, and figured there would be some flying sticks and bodies out there. My hockey jones is just kicking in really strong; I needed that soapbox delivery, thanks.

James121

Banned
The league has 4 divisions: Advanced, Intermediate, Recreational and Women. The Women Division and Recreational Division allow for all skill levels, while the Intermediate and Advanced Divisions are oriented towards those skills.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The league has 4 divisions: Advanced, Intermediate, Recreational and Women. The Women Division and Recreational Division allow for all skill levels, while the Intermediate and Advanced Divisions are oriented towards those skills.

This is not true at all.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This is not true at all.
Not to worry ... the guy is/was a spammer from Islamabad or Lahore (it shifted) -- decidedly NOT the USA -- and was putting up ANYTHING to get his (deleted) spam links on the website.

He's mort now ... just part of the AW's banninated-bodycount.