• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living quarters on or off base?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter86

While in flight training, where do you live? Is it possible to live on base? Is it free, or if not, how much does it cost? Do you need a car, or is everything in walking distance? Thanks

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having just moved out of the NASP BOQ, yes it's "free" but you do forfeit BAH (except for like 13 bucks a month) You'll need a car, not to get to muster but to get to the commissary which is at Corry Station a few miles up the road. It's actually a pretty good deal; bedroom, living room, and your own washer and dryer. Bring a toaster oven, they give you a piss-poor excuse for a kitchen though.

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
Depends...

All depends, dude. There's no "best" answer. First, if you're a pilot, I'd recc living in the Q until you finish API and know if you're going to Whiting or CC. Otherwise it's not worth the hassle of getting a lease and moving only to leave a few months later. If you're an NFO, go ahead and find a place out in town. You're going to be in P'cola for at least 6 months, even if you go to Texas for Heavies.
If you get a roomie, try to get one one a few weeks ahead of you in the program (gouge mine) or in your class (studdy buddy). I'd say get a roomie - P'cola rents are rediculously cheap, and you can get a kickass place out in town and make a ton of money on BAH.
I know guys who lived in the Q all the way to wings (NFO side) - you are only minutes from class or the hangar, which is money, and you don't have to worry about rent or utilities, etc. On the other hand, if you're like me, after a bad flight or a long day, you'll just want to get the hell away from the Navy.
A good compromise is Austin Woods apts - they're just outside the back gate, maybe 5 mins' drive from Wing Six and 10 from NASC. The staff is awesome - they're very, very good about dealing with military (they know all about short-notice moves and such), and at least 50% of the people there are flight students. The rent is reasonable as well, and the apts are very nice and spacious. Only downside is a long waiting list - but you can get on the list and go get a room at the Q while you wait. I lived there for a year while I was at Wing 6 and I'd reccommend it in a heartbeat.

Naviator

I'd say live off base, even if you're a pilot. I've been in A-pool for 6 months already and haven't even started API. If you have to complete IFS, that extends your stay close to 2 months (unless you go to Eglin and get Mr. Miles who puts you through in about 2-3 weeks).
Unless you have follow-on orders to whiting, you're going to be going to corpus. It doesn't matter if you're married, bought a house, and just had 3 kids start school...unless you have follow-on orders they're sending just about everyone to corpus, which I hear is likely to continue for at least another 6 months.
Most any apartment complex in town is going to have experience with military, so moving out early isn't much of a problem. Just ask.
I'd say live around hwy 98 (Fairfield lakes, Crystal lake), which puts you close to the exchange/commissary, and you're still a reasonable distance from NASC and restaurants, movies, stores, bars, etc.
If you do have follow-on orders, you might look at getting a place along University Ave or Davis Hwy (Eaton Square, Governors Gate, Kings Mill, Oakley, Colonial Village), so you can stay in the same place for API/Primary and not move.
On-base is great for getting to work and not worrying about rent/utilities, but sucks for most everything else. I say get a roommate and an apartment out in town, make some money off BAH, and enjoy your time in Pcola.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Naviator said:
I'd say live off base, even if you're a pilot. I've been in A-pool for 6 months already and haven't even started API. If you have to complete IFS, that extends your stay close to 2 months (unless you go to Eglin and get Mr. Miles who puts you through in about 2-3 weeks).
Unless you have follow-on orders to whiting, you're going to be going to corpus. It doesn't matter if you're married, bought a house, and just had 3 kids start school...unless you have follow-on orders they're sending just about everyone to corpus, which I hear is likely to continue for at least another 6 months.

Little advice for you. Don't believe that anything dealing with API or follow on orders is stable for more thaan about a month. Things will change so rapidly and with no warning out of API.

xof

living on NAS Pensacola not an option

The BOQ is full right now, and there are close to 500 people in A-pool. I was planning to stay in the Q for simplicity's sake, but they just gave me 10 days in the transient rooms. So... I got a place on Perdido Key with a view of the water and the use of a kayak included in the lease...I'm glad I got kicked out of the Q.

09 July Report date
anticipated API start... 2005 :confused:

bart27

I will never understand why they say that the BOQ is full when there are 3 vacant units next to mine. This place is never full. I always see empty permanent units.

Mal731

Yeah, I had that same problem with the full BOQ. I was expecting to live there when I got down here. I even called sometime around the middle of June asking about the rooms, and if they would have a vacant one for me to live in when I got here (09 July report date). They insisted that I would! C'est la vie! But I got the 10 day transient room deal also, and I am in Fairfield Lakes now, which is very nice and convienent. I would recommend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.