• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living in Japan

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I'm looking for some information about Japan. I've heard both first and second hand that people generally tend to really love being out there, but haven't got a whole lot of details as to why. I'm considering trying to get a helo spot out there if available, and I was wondering if anyone had any good info.

Anyway, a search didn't show anything recent about Japan so if anyone's served there recently I'd appreciate some info and the opportunity to PM you some more specific questions.

Thanks

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Where in Japan?

I currently live in Japan. My husband's a helo guy in Atsugi. I'd be happy to answer any quality of life questions and I can hit him up for any of the rest of it. PM me.

In general, most people do love it here. I can't really say I'm one of them, but I'm decidedly not typical. The single guys love it because they party their asses off here, and it's a great place to do that. Of all the wardroom's husband has been a part of, I'd say the one here has more fun, by far. (Though I will say that this wardroom also seems to work more and deploys a lot more.) I've had some pretty epic nights in Shibuya; this really is a great place to go out.

Are you single? If not, let me know and I can provide more info about life here for the wife (and kids, if you have them, though I don't so I'm not super knowledgeable about that.)

The COLA is also amazing. Even with a house in San Diego on which we lose $1000 a month and going from two San Diego incomes to one and a part time teaching gig for me, we are better off than we were in San Diego.

Anyway, feel free to PM.

helo_wifey

My husband was there as a JO in 14. We really loved it, we made quite a few friends (non-mil) there that we keep in touch with. I traveled a lot, not only to meet the boat but as a contractor out there. We took Christmas leave to India one year.

We're in Guam now and I'd give anything to be in Japan rather than here.