• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lives in Vegas with no NROTC detachment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecks

The college that I go to doesn't have a NROTC detachment. In fact, there isn't a NROTC in my state. I am going to shoot for that 2 year scholarship but I've a few questions about the process. Would I have to transfer to a college with NROTC before I apply for the scholarship? Or could I just apply for the scholarship and the college at the same time? Does the scholarship cover the WHOLE tuition or just parts of it? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks..
clover_125.gif

WFU2USN

Ecks,

Give your local Navy OFFICER Recruiter a call and ask about the Navy's Bachelor Degree Completion Program (BDCP) which can pay you Navy pay and benefits while you're in college. It's an excellent program!!

Some additional info:

http://www.navy.com
http://www.units.muohio.edu/sfa/navy.htm (the # on there is specific to Miami Univ. so don't call it :) )

Also take a look for BDCP info. here on airwarriors.com - This would allow you to stay in school where you're at so long as the school is 4-year and accredited.

I hope the info. helps!

IS1(SCW)

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
If you are looking to transfer, then consider ROTC. If you do that, you won't have to go to OCS...As for your questions...the scholarship pays for tuition, books (stipend), fees, and room and board in some cases. I am not so sure about already being enrolled but I would talk to an officer recruiter about that. BDCP is a great program but all of the jobs are not offered because retention is so high. For example, this year Suface Warfare is closed to new applicants. The only way for you to go SWO would be through the Academy or ROTC. Something to think about when you are deciding which way to go. Hope this helps.
--Goplay

Nukes Pilot Wife

Room & Board fees depend...at my university (Univ of San Diego) we get 50% R & B paid if we are on scholarship. If I had agreed, at beginning of my freshman year, to work as an RSA (resident security assistant) for our school's Public Saftey dept, then I would have gotten 100% R&B paid automatically. RSA at my univ requires 8 hrs/wk, usually 12-2am doing on campus security in the residence halls. It's not that tough, just breaking up crowded parties, locking up some study rooms after closing hours, and you get to get some hwk done. Many times you have to be up early the next morning for drill (0545), or class, so that's something to consider. You must accept/decline this at the beiginning of your first year on scholarship if it's offered. It may be different at other schools but from other MIDN i've talked to, they have a very similar R&B program.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Yeah I am pretty sure that if you are a scholarship student here at Embry Riddle the school offers you some sort of help with R&B. But you would have to call the individual school to find out for certain. The best way to do it is call the ROTC detachment at the school or schools that you have in mind and ask for the human resources person or officer (its usually a civilian - ours is). They will be able to give you all of the little details that you need because they are the ones that handle all of the paper work and stuff that all the MIDN need to have in place prior to graduation and commission (medical records, security clearences and things of the like). Hope this helps. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions about ERAU if your interested.

PS - the BDCP program is a steal I've got a few friends that are on it right now and they aren't complaining. For somebody in your position in your collegate carreer I think it is ideal but then agiain ROTC rocks too. It all depends on alot of factors so just do your research, talk to people and you'll find the best route for yourself. Remember, "Live by the gouge die by the gouge!"

snizo

Supply Officer
Navy scholarships do not typically cover room and board. Any discount or scholarship you get for that is from the university not the Navy. Usually, private schools have something nice for their students and matches their (AF/N)ROTC scholarship with some kind of room/board thing. Public schools, however, usually do not. My unit covers 8 schools - 5 private, 3 public. All the students in the private schools get room and board scholarship opportunities while none of the students in public schools do.

Status
Not open for further replies.