• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Live in Seattle, commute (ferry) to the carrier in Bremerton?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everett is a nutso idea. Seattle would be flat-out insane. If you had a 0500 brief (which happens), you'd either have to stay in the Q or go without sleep. I think the granola contingent here thinks that if they cause enough traffic jams, all the evil cars will go away, and people will hold hands, sing Kumbaya, and buy carbon offsets.

<-- Loves the PacNW but hates the hippie contingent therein

Lucy

Ahh poor seattle residents. Pdx= all the perks of the pnw without the prissyness. Hippies too "mellow" to have to bother with :D

Lucy

Oh so true. :) and the Public transport rocks. Side note- We had a sub come into harbor downtown a few weeks ago. Pretty cool.

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
I left Bremerton 4 months ago and there were several people from the boat that took the ferry from Seattle. It's about an hour ride in each direction. I don't know the exact hours, but my Yeoman always wanted to leave work before quitting time to catch the ferry, otherwise she'd have a long wait for the next ferry. She was late on occassion too due to the ferry. I'd take the ferry on occassion to go to Seattle on the weekend, but personally I wouldn't want to have to do it every day to get to work.

Boog

Waiver Recommended
There are several officers who live in Seattle and take the ferry to Bremerton. You can get ferry vouchers (costs @$7.00 each way to ride as a walk on) from the ship-only good for walk-on or bike riders-not drivers. The walk/ ride from the ferry pier to the ship while in the yards is @ .5-.75 miles. To the Pier Delta (not in yards) is a good mile. The shipyard is treacherous on a bike in wet weather due to railroad tracks everywhere. Many drive around the sound on duty days = major ass pain. If you have to report earlier than 0700, will need to drive around because the earliest ferry from Seattle leaves at 0600 and arrives Bremerton at 0700.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
The people in Seattle don't know how to plan for or react to snow. They are expecting a heavy winter this year; I know that the trains and buses were thrown off schedule by the snow in 2008. People were literally abandoning their cars on I-5 because they didn't know how to drive in two inches of snow. Let me rephrase that, people didn't realize that they had to slow down while driving in snow.

Who in their right mind says, "fuck it, I'd rather walk" and leaves their car on I-5.