• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love the reference!
I thought I knew what it meant to be addicted to a computer game. Then I discovered that a bunch of fictional little green men wanted to go the Mun and needed my help.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
F-20. With all the F-5s and T-38s across the globe I could not believe none of them sold. Once the USA passed no other foreign operator wanted to take it on. Too bad. It had a niche.
They were going to manufacture the Tigershark under license in Singapore, but, the State Department squashed it. Apparently it had composite structures that they didn't want the manufacturing technology to leave the US.

CAMike

None
Contributor
That's a Fairey Gannet. It went into production for the Fleet Air Arm. If you want to see some weird, find a picture of it folded up.

Saw this
Fairey Gannet
at the Duluth MN Air Show a couple of years ago. It's a 3 man ASW version.

DSC01577-1.jpgDSC01580-1.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They were going to manufacture the Tigershark under license in Singapore, but, the State Department squashed it. Apparently it had composite structures that they didn't want the manufacturing technology to leave the US.

I think there were plenty of proposals, including sales to Taiwan, but nothing firm with the F-20. I think some of it was played up as PR on the part of Northrop.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saw this
Fairey Gannet
at the Duluth MN Air Show a couple of years ago. It's a 3 man ASW version.

View attachment 15095View attachment 15096

Here is it's French 'cousin', the Breguet Alize, only retired in 2000.

Breguet_1050_Alize,_France_-_Navy_AN2045458.jpg

02-breguet-br-1050-alize-museeairespace.jpg

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Is that big blister on the belly a sensor? I don't see gun barrels poking out, but it could be the angle...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that big blister on the belly a sensor? I don't see gun barrels poking out, but it could be the angle...

ARAR 12 radar and radio location system

They actually used it as their AEW aircraft like we did with the AD-5W/EA-1E back in the day. I worked for a short time with a French Navy 'NFO' who started out flying them before moving to Hawkeyes.

AD-5W_VAW-11_approaching_USS_Bennington_(CVS-20).jpeg

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I think there were plenty of proposals, including sales to Taiwan, but nothing firm with the F-20. I think some of it was played up as PR on the part of Northrop.
All I know was that I was waiting on a passport to go to Singapore when the State Department shot it down.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Supposedly it was a capability developed specifically to have an extra bargaining chip at the SALT talks; i.e., build something we were willing to give away so we could hang on to something else.