• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lower parts count, cheaper to buy by order(s) of magnitude, cheaper to operate by order(s) of magnitude, longer endurance (8 hrs), greater range, probably lots quieter for ISR portion of mission, super cool amphib variant can land on water.

Sales pitch-y web page

Don't forget, dispatch reliability. You helo bubbas know I am right. Helicopters are maintenance whores. How many helo's are required to generate the sortie rate of a 4 ship ATO, especially in an austere FOB, vs ship board. When push comes to shove, you can fly those ATs with bailing wire and speed tape repairs. Not so any helicopter I know.

The Forest Service used to use AH-1s in the lead fire attack role. They don't use helos for that mission any more. Why is that? Cost and reliability.

I am still not 100% on board this program, but the debate is worthwhile.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't forget, dispatch reliability. You helo bubbas know I am right. Helicopters are maintenance whores. How many helo's are required to generate the sortie rate of a 4 ship ATO, especially in an austere FOB, vs ship board. When push comes to shove, you can fly those ATs with bailing wire and speed tape repairs. Not so any helicopter I know.

The Forest Service used to use AH-1s in the lead fire attack role. They don't use helos for that mission any more. Why is that? Cost and reliability.

I am still not 100% on board this program, but the debate is worthwhile.
Again, a much bigger deal for allies and security assistance.

There is a good place for this type of aircraft—with poorer allies. Possibly with AFSOC. Definitely NOT the USN and USMC.

We need more advanced aircraft, not fewer. To the extent we get expendable hardware, it’s going to be unmanned.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Did they run out of fuel or engine oil first?
Good question- and it made me think of Howard Hughes’s Spruce Goose. If you ever get the chance, you really need to go to McMinnville Oregon and tour it. First rate aviation museum.

The Spruce Goose had a wingspan of 320 feet and its tail flew 60 feet above the water. Each of the flying boat’s eight Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major 28-cylinder engines produced 3,000 horsepower and sucked down 100 gallons of fuel per hour. The powerplants each bathed in 32 gallons of oil flowing through four banks of seven cylinders; the engines had two spark plugs per cylinder for a total of 448 spark plugs. A separate 189-gallon oil reservoir is on the flight deck.

1671035105721.jpeg
Looking down the Spruce Goose’s wing. The round shape to the left is the oil tank. At its thickest, the wing is 11 feet high, making it easy for a person to walk down the wing to tend to an engine in flight. [Courtesy: Meg Godlewski]

sevenhelmet

pilot
The B-29 "Doc" has an oil reservoir tank as well- the engines use multiple quarts of oil per hour, I forget how many exactly, but it's enough that they are sometimes more oil limited than fuel limited.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And a wonderful whiff of Eau de Cowshit . . .

sevenhelmet

pilot
That's the Edgley Optica EA-7. A weird, niche airplane that only a mother could love. Based on the shape, I'd hazard a guess it's perf and lat-dir flying qualities are "interesting". With today's camera/targeting pods, I'd also submit it's a solution looking for a problem.

Found this article in Plane & Pilot online. Doesn't appear to have a paywall.

taxi1

pilot
I wonder if a battery-powered rim drive propulsor/fan (bleeding edge stuff) wouldn't make that a smart design. It ought to be quiet.

Last edited: