• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Same thing (kind of) happened to a C-47 loaded with Nurses that was headed for the wrong Island that was occupied by the Japanese and it was shot down by a P-51.
You got a couple of reactions by mentioning that one!

It's a sort of well known/also sort of not well known war story, and it has a good ending:

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, but produced in far, far fewer numbers. I’m thinking operational…although the thread is “experimental.”

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Perhaps the ultimate version of the P-47 was the XP-72. With a calculated top speed of over 500 mph from a 3,400 HP Pratt & Whitney R-4360 driving a contra-rotating prop (2nd prototype) it would have been one of the fastest piston engine fighters ever made. Armament was equally impressive with one configuration having two 37mm cannons and four .50 caliber machine guns.

Edit: The massive engine deserves a footnote. The Pratt & Whitney R-4360 was the largest piston engine mass produced in the US. It had 28 cylinders in 4 rows of 7, displacing 4362 cubic inches and developing 4,300 HP in its most powerful version. Unfortunately, the engine suffered from overheating problems and was less reliable than its smaller cousins.

Last edited:

HuggyU2

None
Here's one for you: the XF-84H Thunderscreech.

In the late 90's, I'd go through Bakersfield Meadows Airport, and it was the jet-on-a-stick at the airport entrance. It seemed odd that such a rare aircraft (one of only two) was sitting outside like that. Sure enough, it was grabbed by the AF Museum around 1999-2000 and is now on display there, at Wright-Patt AFB.

It's written that the props were supersonic even in idle, and the sonic waves were alleged to have caused seizures and injuries. I think it is one of the loudest airplanes of all time.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
While looking at the Pratt & Whitney R-4360, I noticed it powered the B-50 bomber, a development of the B-29. I did not know the B-50 was 1/3 heavier (B-50 max takeoff weight of 173,000 lbs - B-29 max takeoff weight of 133,000 lbs) and also 40 knots faster.

The tanker variant was relatively long lived, serving until 1965.

A McDonnell F-101A Voodoo (top right), Douglas B-66 Destroyer (top left) and North American F-100D Super Sabre refuel from a KB-50J tanker (420th Air Refueling Squadron) at an RAF open day in England, 1963

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
While looking at the Pratt & Whitney R-4360, I noticed it powered the B-50 bomber, a development of the B-29.
And the B-50 evolved into the C-97 Strato- series, the ultimate Boeing prop heavies. They did a lot of good work doing the heavy lifting (no pun intended), force multiplier kind of stuff for our strategic bomber deterrence (tankers) and airlift (strategic and theater). Yeomen's work in the old fashioned sense of the term, and really important for a modern military.

jmcquate

Contributor
I think the C-97s flew with the Guard up until the early 80s. I sailed with a guy who flew them with the Ohio ANG.

HuggyU2

None
In another bit of random history... the C-97 is the aircraft that the NASA Super Guppy was created from. I think only the first one is really a C-97, and the rest were "inspired" by it. But I wouldn't put money on that. Anyways... cool history.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The de Havilland Hornet / Sea Hornet. Like its bigger and more famous cousin the Mosquito (18,250 lbs max takeoff wt vs 25,000 lbs for the Mosquito) , it was made of balsa and plywood. Noted test pilot Captain Erik Brown said it was his favorite propeller airplane to fly.

A de Havilland Hornet F.3 of 64 Squadron.

de Havilland Sea Hornet F.20s of No.728 Fleet Requirements Unit, Hal Far, Malta.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The de Havilland Hornet / Sea Hornet. Like its bigger and more famous cousin the Mosquito (18,250 lbs max takeoff wt vs 25,000 lbs for the Mosquito) , it was made of balsa and plywood. Noted test pilot Captain Erik Brown said it was his favorite propeller airplane to fly.

View attachment 32242

View attachment 32243

View attachment 32244
de Havilland Sea Hornet F.20s of No.728 Fleet Requirements Unit, Hal Far, Malta.
Nice looking airplane.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

View attachment 32242

View attachment 32243

View attachment 32244
Yeah. Cool looking. Along the lines of the Grumman Tigercat.

On phone. Short of time. Maybe a bud can post a Tigercat pic for me.