• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little Advice?-Prior E and Civilian ATP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furloughed

Hey All,
I'm looking for advice and/or info on paths to Naval Aviation--I'm prior enlisted (AT3 with VF-211;Go Checkmates!), got out in 99, went to flight school, was hired by American Eagle (Saab 340), then furloughed after 9/11. To be very honest, I've become bored with civil aviation (and the lack of job security), and am considering knocking on the Navy's door once again. I'm 26, have over 2000 hours of flight time (which I understand doesn't help much), and about 10 months from finishing a degree at Embry-Riddle. Any advice and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated--thanks again and good luck to all!

mikedjp

The first thing you should do is contact an officer recruiter and tell him/her your situation. As long as your GPA is decent and you can do well on the ASTB you should be very competitive. If you are 10 months from your degree, you should check into BDCP. Be careful about your age as well. You can get a waiver for up to four years past the age limit for your prior service. Without a waiver you need to be commissioned before your 27th birthday.

Good luck!

Furloughed

Thanks for the info, Mike. I've left a message w/a recruiter-we'll see what he has to say. Lots of good info on this site--thanks again!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You are still within the age windows, plus you have the prior enlisted time in your favor. As already stated, and what you are currently doing, but the best thing is to talk to a recruiter now, and make sure you have a timeline for meeting the requirements for putting in your pacakge. Also, the sooner you get that package in, and graduate, the sooner you will have a slot for SNA and OCS, instead of waiting till the next fiscal year like so many on this forum are having to do.

I would definitely look into BDCP, nothing like getting funded education and a paycheck to boot.

Best of luck in the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.